Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I'm Having Trouble Copying Files/Folders.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2

    I'm Having Trouble Copying Files/Folders.

    My Windows XP Media Center OS crashed and I get a blue screen with the ereror message: Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. The only way I could get back into the system and try to salvage some of my files is with a Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD. The dvd sets up a Linux OS and I am following a tutorial by Cedric Shock, "Computer First Aid Using Knoppix". I tried copying the files and/or folders to a DVD+RW disc and to a 4GB Cruzer jump drive. Neither operation was successful. I would appreciate any help I can get since I'm new to Linux so I can salvage my files before reinstalling my OS.

    I've tried to copy several files and folders each time receiving an error message "Could not write to file/sdb1/file name.extension". I right clicked on the file to be copied and clicked "copy", then clicked on the thumb drive and clicked on "edit" and then on "paste file". That's when the error message came up.

    I changed the read/write by unchecking the box. I then started to copy a folder using K3b write and got an error message that some file names need to be shortened due to 64 character restriction of the Joliet extension. I was offered options of Load, Eject, Force and Cancel. I tried to force but that was a dead end. I then tried dragging a folder from the Hard Drive to the DVD+RW and used the command Copy Here. The copying stalled at 38% or 878 of 1349 files due to a "malformed URL". The copy command used up 794 Mb of a possible 2 Gb. I used the autoskip command and the folder was copied to the Knoppix desktop. When I tried dragging the folder to the jump drive (4 Gb capacity) I received an error message "could not make folder/media/sdb1/my documents. I'm about to give up unless I can find a way to copy the folder. I hope someone can help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't have any insight on why you couldn't write to a DVD (assuming you have multiple optical drives or use the toram boot option) or why you can't write to the usb device (i'm assume it isn't write protected and you know how to mount it for write access). Do you have a network? What I do when I need to use Knoppix to recover files is fire up a ftp server on a windows box on the network and then use korquror on the Knoppix system as an ftp client to transfer files across the netork.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2
    I have two optical drives and I made sure that the thumb drive could be written to. The Sandisk literature doesn't indicate a read-only condition as with a floppy. I have to use the Linux OS because my computer will not boot to Windows. I'll look into using your network approach. Thanks for the assistance.

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble copying files to USB flash drive
    By tdeshler in forum Laptops
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 01:57 AM
  2. Trouble mounting/copying from ntfs disk
    By sakura_candy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
  3. tohd command for copying to folders
    By bharat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2006, 04:07 PM
  4. Opening folders and files
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 01:21 PM
  5. Need help with basics: copying and pasting folders..
    By gsx8o in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 07:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H picture

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen8 Blade Chassis w/2x Xeon E5-2630L 2.0GHz, 32GB RAM, No H

$144.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99