Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix on USB key (Persistent Mode)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    17

    Knoppix on USB key (Persistent Mode)

    Hi,

    I have Knoppix 5.1 on USB Key. When I boot the key, I select the 2nd option:

    SYSTEM: Add as persistent writable system area.

    Everything works great, it saves every changes and new stuff on my USB Key (Persistent mode).

    The next time I boot from the key, I get a message:

    Knoppix.img was not cleanly unmounted.


    Then it fixes a bunch of inodes, block and whatever else.

    I don't notice anything wrong in Knoppix. It's just drives me nuts that is does that everytime I boot.


    Is there something I can configure to help Knoppix to cleanly Unmount?

    Thanks,

    Marc.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    22
    I did this with a hard drive as well and get the same result,
    ext format, which is best for linux


    although it automatically detects, using home= cheatcode DOES NOT work when it does auto detect.

  3. #3
    Hi,

    I have the same experience, except that I cannot seem to get my files to persist. I've followed two different sets of directions to install Knoppix 5.1.1 to a USB drive (http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/14738?page=1 and http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/02...1-using-linux/). The procedures are essentially the same; one is a command line process and the other is a GUI process. I also completed the steps for persisting files to the USB.

    Knoppix 5.1.1 boots nicely from my USB, I get the Knoppix configuration menu of different options Home, System, Overwrite, Init. One issue is that I do not understand the implications of these different options and haven't found any documentation on them yet (still looking).

    Based upon LAF's post, I tried using only the SYSTEM option. I opened the console and created a file. Then I rebooted. After selecting "SYSTEM" in the configuration menus.

    So, my questions are: What should I select at the Knoppix Configuration Menu? Where should I create my files to persist them?

    Oh, one more thing. When I look at the properties of /dev/sba2 (the 2nd partition on the USB drive) by right clicking on the icon from the desktop, and look at the Device tab, the "Read only" box was checked. That doesn't seem right. Is this why files don't persist there?

    I would appreciate any pointers folks can offer.

    Many thanks,

    Peter

Similar Threads

  1. Can only boot knoppix in failsafe mode
    By Orion6 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 04:49 AM
  2. How I can boot Knoppix in console mode...
    By rioswill in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 07:07 AM
  4. Knoppix firewall.tbz expert mode JOE
    By y23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 09:42 AM
  5. hd-installed knoppix with kiosk mode twm
    By Eero in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper Network QFX5100-48S-AFO 48x SFP/SFP+ 6x 40GbE QSFP+ Switch w/ Dual power picture

Juniper Network QFX5100-48S-AFO 48x SFP/SFP+ 6x 40GbE QSFP+ Switch w/ Dual power

$223.20



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP picture

New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP

$560.15



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99