Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: WD My Book mounting issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4

    WD My Book mounting issue

    My WD My Book will not mount properly, it spins up no problem and is recognised as a local drive by XP but when I try to open it I am asked if I want to format it and cannot access the files which I desperately need to access. I booted up using Knoppix but again it sees the drive but when I try to access it I get the error message that it is an unknown file format. Is there any way using knoppix I can access the drive to get the files off? I am new to Linux so please be patient if I ask questions . Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you start knoppix it is a chance that you will see a icon on the desktop allowing you to see the files.

    backing things up should be failry easy after that if you have a burner (other drive than the one knoppix CD/DVD is in). just start a porgram called k3b (KIIIB) and burn.

    or fit a fat formatted USB disk (pendrive...) to the linux system, i will never consider NTFS safe, it even fails fairly frequently under windows.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    yes I can see the drive in knoppix but when I try to access it I get the message 'cannot open unrecognized file format'.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    If neither xp or Knoppix will read it, there's a good chance the disk has been damaged either physically or magnetically. While there are tools available in linux that may be helpful for recovering data , learning about them will take awhile, especially if you haven't used the command line interface.

    You might want to look at some commercial products, for example Spin Rite.

    http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    I have tried using testdisk and it does see the partition but cannot access or repair it due to a read error after about 87% of the scan. What would be the best data recovery software that I could try for file retrieval? Spinrite is one I have been told about but HDD regenerator is another one.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Maybe you can find something here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

    HTH

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    Success, I have managed to rebuild the boot sector with testdisk! I have all my info back, thanks for all who helped.

Similar Threads

  1. Not sure how to create book image wo iso
    By rashaunny in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 05:48 AM
  2. Knoppix hacks book
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 04:45 PM
  3. Knoppix book in French
    By dmpop in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 02:51 PM
  4. Good Book?
    By Guitarplaya512 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:48 PM
  5. Debian Linux Book?
    By Neb00 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2002, 08:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$34.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp

$32.99



Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520 picture

Western Digital 256GB NVMe 2280 80mm SSD SDAPNUW-256G-1006 L18845-002 SN520

$29.99