Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Boot Error

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    VT, USA
    Posts
    4
    This is very frustrating. No matter what I try, I get the same error.

    For what it's worth, when I boot failsafe with any of the other cheat codes, I get the same list of messages as cited previously before the computer hangs.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by kittybriton
    This is very frustrating. No matter what I try, I get the same error.

    For what it's worth, when I boot failsafe with any of the other cheat codes, I get the same list of messages as cited previously before the computer hangs.
    Have you got the CD/DVD to boot with other machines? I doubt the potential memory problem is the reason here, X - the real memory hog - is only started much later in any case.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    VT, USA
    Posts
    4
    The thing that's worrying me is that I get the same error message / result on both the machines I have tried so far.

    Does "Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 01:03" mean that it is unable to mount one of the drives?
    if so, how do identify which drive? and how do I remedy the problem?

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    i have seen similar errors on disks burned too fast or on marginal media (bad CD or DVD). try burning as slow as you can and try using quality media.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by kittybriton
    The thing that's worrying me is that I get the same error message / result on both the machines I have tried so far.

    Does "Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 01:03" mean that it is unable to mount one of the drives?
    if so, how do identify which drive? and how do I remedy the problem?
    I don't think so - but I'm no expert on this. Because Knoppix is set up to run with exclusively read-only media, any intrinsic mounting by the kernel must be on virtual structures, like RAM-disks. Physical writable media is not mounted at boot time. This panic might mean (among other things) memory read/write errors, but as you get the same on two different machines, I suspect, as Oerjan also indicates, that it is your booting disk, CD/DVD media errors, or bad image to burn. Did you check the md5sum of the image, and if that is correct and booting still fails, could you try other burners? The ISO image of the CD is easily transferred on a 1GB pendrive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. v4.0.2 boot error
    By skygeek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 07:11 PM
  2. Boot error
    By Marash in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
  3. Help with error on boot-up
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
  4. boot error
    By kashif in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 08:10 PM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



AMD Ryzen 7 2700X AM4 Processor- 3.7Ghz/4.3Ghz Boost, 8 Core/16 Thread picture

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X AM4 Processor- 3.7Ghz/4.3Ghz Boost, 8 Core/16 Thread

$125.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor

$27.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065 picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065

$135.00



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel Core Ultra 9 285K 3.70GHz 24 Core SRQD5 24 Thread LGA 1851 picture

Intel Core Ultra 9 285K 3.70GHz 24 Core SRQD5 24 Thread LGA 1851

$435.00