When Knoppix is shutting down I always get the message 'turning off swap', although I never enabled a swapfile. Does this mean Knoppix has been writing to a swapfile on my hardrive?
When Knoppix is shutting down I always get the message 'turning off swap', although I never enabled a swapfile. Does this mean Knoppix has been writing to a swapfile on my hardrive?
That depends. If KNOPPIX finds a partition that is formated as a Linux-swap (can't remember the exact type), then it will use it as such. You can turn this off with the noswap cheatcode.
Well I only have Windows XP on my pc no linux partitions.
I think KNOPPIX, being a Linux, will turn off swap as normal part of its shutdown. If it does not have one, it will still try it, find that there is nothing to turn off, and move on. But it is a normal part of the shutdown process ...
thanks for your help

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00