Already a good tip. Tnx for sharing the info.
But seems to me this is only for harddisk installed knoppix ?
Code:Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options
On livecd usage this is in read only ?
hello,
I managed to have a ADSL connection with my SpeedTouch Usb modem using Knoppix Live cd V3.2-2003-05-20
Details :
http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html
Already a good tip. Tnx for sharing the info.
But seems to me this is only for harddisk installed knoppix ?
Code:Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options
On livecd usage this is in read only ?
no, it is really for live cd.Already a good tip. Tnx for sharing the info.
But seems to me this is only for harddisk installed knoppix ?
Code:
Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options
I have tested and these files are writable in the live cd, and are even saved in your persistent home.
Hello,
I followed the instructions for setting up my bellsouth Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem but to no avail. ( http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html ).
Each time I create and edit the required files and copy the microcode etc., on rebooting Knoppix the files are gone. I have not installed Knoppix on HDD and do not intend to for the time being. Perhaps this is necessary.
I am still fairly new with Linux, but have enjoyed Mandrake Linux so far and I am trying out Knoppix for the obvious benefits that it brings. It also looks great. Please let me know if I am missing out a step. I have looked on Google, but ended up back in this forum.
Thank you for your assitance. Tux Rules!![]()
Peter G
as said on the page these files will be saved if you create a permanent home on a usb key, a floppy or a little file on your hard drive; and save your settings in it (K Menu / KNOPPIX / Configure)Each time I create and edit the required files and copy the microcode etc., on rebooting Knoppix the files are gone
Hope this helps
Thank you for the reply. I was confused because the advice given seemed to contradict reason and practicality, ie., that a permanent home with live CD Knoppix was NOT needed, but I misconstrued the information.
Anyway, I really appreciate your helpfulness (another significant reason why open source is so great), and will have a crack at setting things up with a permanent home for the USB ADSL stingray!
Cheers!
Peter G.
Tux rules!
![]()
when i tpe the 'tar zxvf speedtouch-1.2-beta1.tar.gz' i get the following error
tar (child): speedtouch-1.2-beta.tar.gz: cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
And i dont seem to be able to download the required file properly, if someone could email them to me i would appreciate it
Thanks
Derek
P.S. I am totally new to Linux and Knoppix so no tech babbleplease
![]()
Hi
the message means you have not the file "speedtouch-1.2-beta1.tar.gz" in your home.
Maybe you have downloaded the new version of the driver 1.2-beta2, so I suggest you to type tar zxvf speedtouch-1 ... and use the TAB to auto-complete the command.
Hi!
I can find the Alcatel's microcode mgmt.o
![]()
Please, help me!
3 possibilities :
1- you download the driver from the official site, decompress and use the file mgmt.o you find in it
2- you can use file called alcaudsl.sys you can get on a windows system, and you rename it in mgmt.o
3- you can use the file firmware.bin you can find on http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/files/firmware.bin
and you rename it in mgmt.o
![]()

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
IBM X3650 M5 5462-AC1,2 X E5-2640V3 2.6GHZ 8C, 16 GB, DUAL 750W, 2 X 1TB SERVER
$349.99
Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00