Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Knoppix live cd and SpeedTouch USB

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    7

    Knoppix live cd and SpeedTouch USB

    hello,
    I managed to have a ADSL connection with my SpeedTouch Usb modem using Knoppix Live cd V3.2-2003-05-20
    Details :
    http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Already a good tip. Tnx for sharing the info.
    But seems to me this is only for harddisk installed knoppix ?

    Code:
    Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options

    On livecd usage this is in read only ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    7

    live cd and speedtouch usb

    Already a good tip. Tnx for sharing the info.
    But seems to me this is only for harddisk installed knoppix ?

    Code:
    Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options
    no, it is really for live cd.
    I have tested and these files are writable in the live cd, and are even saved in your persistent home.

  4. #4
    Hello,
    I followed the instructions for setting up my bellsouth Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem but to no avail. ( http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html ).

    Each time I create and edit the required files and copy the microcode etc., on rebooting Knoppix the files are gone. I have not installed Knoppix on HDD and do not intend to for the time being. Perhaps this is necessary.

    I am still fairly new with Linux, but have enjoyed Mandrake Linux so far and I am trying out Knoppix for the obvious benefits that it brings. It also looks great. Please let me know if I am missing out a step. I have looked on Google, but ended up back in this forum.

    Thank you for your assitance. Tux Rules!

    Peter G

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    7
    Each time I create and edit the required files and copy the microcode etc., on rebooting Knoppix the files are gone
    as said on the page these files will be saved if you create a permanent home on a usb key, a floppy or a little file on your hard drive; and save your settings in it (K Menu / KNOPPIX / Configure)
    Hope this helps

  6. #6
    Thank you for the reply. I was confused because the advice given seemed to contradict reason and practicality, ie., that a permanent home with live CD Knoppix was NOT needed, but I misconstrued the information.

    Anyway, I really appreciate your helpfulness (another significant reason why open source is so great), and will have a crack at setting things up with a permanent home for the USB ADSL stingray!

    Cheers!
    Peter G.

    Tux rules!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2
    when i tpe the 'tar zxvf speedtouch-1.2-beta1.tar.gz' i get the following error

    tar (child): speedtouch-1.2-beta.tar.gz: cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

    And i dont seem to be able to download the required file properly, if someone could email them to me i would appreciate it

    Thanks

    Derek

    P.S. I am totally new to Linux and Knoppix so no tech babble please

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    7
    Hi
    the message means you have not the file "speedtouch-1.2-beta1.tar.gz" in your home.
    Maybe you have downloaded the new version of the driver 1.2-beta2, so I suggest you to type tar zxvf speedtouch-1 ... and use the TAB to auto-complete the command.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    9
    Hi!
    I can find the Alcatel's microcode mgmt.o


    Please, help me!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    7
    3 possibilities :

    1- you download the driver from the official site, decompress and use the file mgmt.o you find in it

    2- you can use file called alcaudsl.sys you can get on a windows system, and you rename it in mgmt.o

    3- you can use the file firmware.bin you can find on http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/files/firmware.bin
    and you rename it in mgmt.o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SpeedTouch 510: how to connect IT to knoppix/debian?
    By markcomp77 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 04:51 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:39 PM
  3. Speedtouch 330
    By sprinkles in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 04:48 AM
  4. Knoppix CD and SpeedTouch USb
    By laurentbon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 12:32 PM
  5. SpeedTouch USB
    By vengapir8 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 02:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$34.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00