Have you considered SETTING UP the root password?
Look under the penguin in your menu bar and choose "Set Root Password"
Shouldnt you know how to setup root passwords if you've been using Knoppix so long?
I have been using Knoppix for a long time now.
Recently I needed to do some recovery work.
To my great wonder I saw that qtparted required a password of me.
After some googling I found that the default password was blank and must be changed using the Root terminal by typing passwd and following the instructions.
However when I open Root terminal I am prompted for the (blank) password, which CANNOT be used as is, BTW. (Knoppix 01.04.07.)
This is very dissapointing. For me, this renders Knoppix completely unusable.
What the devil went wrong since you implemented this "feature"?!
I will check out ultimate boot cd. Maybe they can fill in the gap, which was previously filled by knoppix for recovery.
Have you considered SETTING UP the root password?
Look under the penguin in your menu bar and choose "Set Root Password"
Shouldnt you know how to setup root passwords if you've been using Knoppix so long?

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD
$145.00
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99