Have you considered SETTING UP the root password?
Look under the penguin in your menu bar and choose "Set Root Password"
Shouldnt you know how to setup root passwords if you've been using Knoppix so long?
I have been using Knoppix for a long time now.
Recently I needed to do some recovery work.
To my great wonder I saw that qtparted required a password of me.
After some googling I found that the default password was blank and must be changed using the Root terminal by typing passwd and following the instructions.
However when I open Root terminal I am prompted for the (blank) password, which CANNOT be used as is, BTW. (Knoppix 01.04.07.)
This is very dissapointing. For me, this renders Knoppix completely unusable.
What the devil went wrong since you implemented this "feature"?!
I will check out ultimate boot cd. Maybe they can fill in the gap, which was previously filled by knoppix for recovery.
Have you considered SETTING UP the root password?
Look under the penguin in your menu bar and choose "Set Root Password"
Shouldnt you know how to setup root passwords if you've been using Knoppix so long?

VINTAGE UNISYS Computer RARE 486 DBA Desktop Retro PC Intel Pentium 1995 USA
$95.00
Vintage AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 & Mouse II M2706 ADB Cable Bundle Mac
$69.99
Vintage IMSAI S-100 Computer CRT System w/ Boards Nonworking Parts/Repair
$2699.00
Vintage Dell Latitude CPi A366XT Win 98SE w/USB Support 256MB 60GB HD FDD Serial
$109.99
vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New
$99.00
$80.00
Tektronix Vintage Full-Size QWERTY Keyboard with Numeric Keypad 119-1989-001
$79.99
Vintage IBM SLT Logic Circuit Card – Solid Logic Technology – 2541625 / 2392392
$100.00
Vintage IMSAI Dual 8” Floppy Disk Drive PerSci 277 Powers On Rare
$1599.00
Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CDT Vintage Laptop Computer Retro Windows PC Parts Only
$125.00