Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: various problems with hardware detection and booting from HD

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    various problems with hardware detection and booting from HD

    Can someone give me general advice on the problems below?

    I have a generic Thinkpad T60. I downloaded knoppix 4.0.2 with the idea of ultimately making it my main OS, booting it from an external HD. From what I read I thought that all my key hardware would be detected and I could easily move my harddrive from one computer to another w/o having to worry about drivers etc...

    Well, I'm not a big fan of Microsoft but I must say that getting windows to work on my system was much more straightforward and user friendly than trying to get Knoppix to do what I want. Of course this is likely related to my being such a Knoppix newbie, but now I understand why not more people shift to Linux.

    I have basically 2 groups of problems:
    1) setting up Knoppix on my external HD. I followed the instructions at http://www.bellevuelinux.org/knoppixinstall.html and keep getting a Kernel Panic. I've read the last part and carefully partitioned my disk, but it just won't work. On top of that it even screwed up my windows installation, which I thought it was not supposed to do... I have been careful not to go anywhere near the windows partition, so I don't understand how that happened. Basically it replaced the GNURL (or whatever it's called) and now I need to have my external HD (the one with my Knoppix install) plugged in to be given the choice to start Windows. Otherwise it just says there is some error with the GNURL (or whatever it's called)

    2) I managed to get Knoppix to load into a higher resolution, but it won't detect my wireless card (Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG) and soundcard (standard one) automatically... What a pain and does that mean i need to load drivers for each computer I'd be using Knoppix on??? I found a Linux driver for the wireless card but I have to 'compile' it and just completing that process is a pain and seems to require a few years of spare time... I used the utilities in Knoppix but it says there is no wireless card, and just doesn't detect my sound card either... Any idea of what I'm doing wrong here?

    In short, I'm thinking of dropping Knoppix till it does what it says, i.e. be much more hardware independent, and provide a full-fledged OS not just a repair environment. I admire the effort that went into this but it's just not there yet for novices like me.

    Still, I'd like to try harder and educate myself, so if anyone could help me with the specific issues above I'd be very thankful.

    Also I realise this may sound a little harsh, so let me clarify this is not intended to start an argument. No need to tell me that I'm stupid or anything like that. Yes, when it comes to Linux i am fully aware I don't know much and all the arguments above are highly related to my ignorance. I'd just like to hear from users how difficult it would be with the current Knoppix to implement my vision above i.e. is there a reason Knoppix does not detect and install most generic hardware?

    And one more thing, is there any way I can tell Knoppix to automatically load my own settings rather than having to remember and type the long complex command for this every time it boots?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Generally Knoppix is best used as a live cd. If your looking for a hard drive installation of a user friendly, hardware aware linux http://www.ubuntu.com/ is about as good as it gets these days.

    Cheers.

  3. #3
    Ok, thanks for the pointer, Rusty. I've learned about Ubuntu and it seems it's possible to do an external HD install indeed through another long-winded process (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80811)

    This said, tell me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't address my need of wanting an external OS I can boot on ANY standard computer. I'd have to install Ubuntu on any new computer I'm using, wouldn't I?

    So it seems there isn't a current solution that fits my needs?
    I'm back to trying it in Knoppix then, and I'm still interested in any guidance on the points I raised:

    - what proportion of standard hardware is Knoppix capable of installing w/o any extra intervention
    - any user-friendly driver site out there so I don't have to 'compile' my driver
    - anyone knows a bulletproof way of installing Knoppix on an external HD
    - anyone knows why the procedure in http://www.bellevuelinux.org/knoppixinstall.html screwed up my XP install whereas it says it wouldn't? And how to repair that?
    - any other experience on making Knoppix your primary OS?

    Thanks for any helpful posting

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Ok......wireless support with KNoppix 4.02 is going to be crap - too old



    'm back to trying it in Knoppix then, and I'm still interested in any guidance on the points I raised:

    - what proportion of standard hardware is Knoppix capable of installing w/o any extra intervention
    - any user-friendly driver site out there so I don't have to 'compile' my driver
    - anyone knows a bulletproof way of installing Knoppix on an external HD
    - anyone knows why the procedure in http://www.bellevuelinux.org/knoppixinstall.html screwed up my XP install whereas it says it wouldn't? And how to repair that?
    - any other experience on making Knoppix your primary OS?

    Hardware detection is a fragil thing ---- there are never any promises


    compiling a driver is not a big deal - It just seems alittle overwhelming at first after a lifetime of M$ products ..... ...its actually a good thing - A driver that YOU compile is streamlined for YOUR computer.... this means less memory usage and faster code.. Just think of it as part of the Software Installation Process

    Download knoppix 5.11 and use 0wn or knoppix-installer....lot of things have changed since 4.0.2..


    ".....anyone knows why the procedure in http://www.bellevuelinux.org/knoppixinstall.html screwed up my XP install whereas it says it wouldn't? And how to repair that? ....."

    Easy fix .... just boot with a WinXP cd and choose "Recovery Console" ... once you login run the fixboot and fixmbr commands (WITHOUT your external HD connected)


    ".....I managed to get Knoppix to load into a higher resolution, but it won't detect my wireless card (Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG) and soundcard (standard one) automatically... What a pain and does that mean i need to load drivers for each computer I'd be using Knoppix on???....."


    Soundcards and wireless cards is the 2 peices of hardware that youll have the most problems with. Linux wireless support in general is pretty young and sound detection is a tricky issue sometimes..... But for a travel OS sound will probably be optional for you anyway.....most hotels that I stay at do not have speakers on their computers for instance. Now that being said I think my scripts (refering to other thread) do a pretty fair job of setting up sound on the fly.


    As for your kernel panic: The stock knoppix kernel and initrd does not include support for booting from USB.... youll need the patch minirt from giles thread: http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...3e4be4d04b40c6

    Here is the direct link for the patched minirt for KNoppix 5.11: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_511a.gz


    extract it to /boot/.

    and edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to use it instead of the stock version.

    look for this line (or one like it)
    Code:
    initrd /boot/initrd.img
    Change to:

    Code:
    initrd /boot/<extracted file name>

    Hope this helps,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  5. #5
    This is a great help, thanks again Justin

    I've fixed my grub just with fdisk /fixmbr command as the Xp disk wouldn't repair it

    I've downloaded latest DVD version of Knoppix, but it still does not recognize the drivers for wireless card and soundcard. Those are not optional for me if I use knoppix as main OS, as I need my music and internet. Guess I'll just have to compile them then

    Tried to install on ext HD using knoppix-installer but get same panic again. Strange that support for that is not included. I suppose booting from ext hd is going to replace dvd progressively

    I couldn't download the patch from the link you gave me though. Could you send correct one if you get a chance?

    Going to buy new HP laptop today, I wish I could get them to deduct the cost of a Vista OS I don't need...

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    I just tried that Link.... It works Perhaps you should read its accompanying thread DO NOT UNPACK THE FILE... its used as is. Its not a patch but a RAMDISK..... its loaded with the kernel to provide some extra support to the kernel. (I mislead you with "initrd /boot/<extracted file name>")

    Its the same as one of the *.img files in /boot/



    've downloaded latest DVD version of Knoppix, but it still does not recognize the drivers for wireless card and soundcard. Those are not optional for me if I use knoppix as main OS, as I need my music and internet. Guess I'll just have to compile them then
    Does knoppix announce your soundcard at boot? I.e. : " Soundcard: ICH4 - Intel ICH5 driver=snd_intel8x0 "

    If so there is hope .... try booting the system in runlevel 2 (testmode) (add a 2 to your kernel cmdline (grub menu.lst)..... When the system boot login as root and issue: ` dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base `


    THEN start KDE with " init 5" and your sound might be working



    Also check to make sure sound is enabled in KDE by going to the Control Center ===>> Sound & Multimedia ====>> Sound System




    Going to buy new HP laptop today, I wish I could get them to deduct the cost of a Vista OS I don't need...

    Sometimes over the internet you can ....DELL used to allow this..... DELL irratates me on this subject anyway as they dont provide a master copy of the OS that you purchased. If you need a OS disc one must be shipped to you to use.... and shipped back when your done. PAIN IN THE ASS!

    You may be surprised to find that KNOPPIX works 100% on your new laptop



    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  7. #7
    Ok, will actually get the new laptop (toshiba, so I hope it comes with the OS disk!) next week

    will try all that then

    Bundle of thanks to you!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Neatwork
    Ok, will actually get the new laptop (toshiba, so I hope it comes with the OS disk!) next week

    will try all that then

    Bundle of thanks to you!
    Wish you all luck. Yesterday I tried Knoppix 5.1.1 on a Toshiba Satellite M40 (2006) - never had so many problems with Knoppix before, and USB-pendrive booting: No way! To be fair to Knoppix, Mandriva 2006 Live didn't boot at all on that machine...

Similar Threads

  1. USB Hardware detection problems
    By tricky in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
  2. Hardware detection
    By jcostello in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
  3. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  4. Knoppix hardware booting problems
    By Yattaman in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 07:10 PM
  5. Hardware Detection
    By staverts in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone picture

LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone

$699.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box picture

Lot Of 5 Poly Edge E550 82M91AA IP Desktop Phone PoE New In Box

$1500.00



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99