-
Windows Xp emulation
I hoipe this hasnt been posted already but is there an easy way to install an XP emulator to this knoppix deal. like an auto setup I know nothing about linuix knoppix command line. A little help please
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Windows Xp emulation

Originally Posted by
Phantom187
...is there an easy way to install an XP emulator to this knoppix deal....
Knoppix is a Live CD. There is no easy way to install much of anything to it.
According to the package list, WINE is still in Knoppix. I don't use it and was never very satisfied with it when I tried, but it is billed as a windows emulator and some people report good results with it.
I'm not sure what you mean by an XP emulator rather than a windows emulator, but if you want more than wine, you might consider Linux and VMware, and run XP in a virtual machine under Linux. I wouldn't do that on Knoppix though, i would use a version of Linux intended for install to hard disk, such as Debian.
-
suggestion
I am also starting to get into video editing and found a rather neat page on video editing with linux(http://www.robfisher.net/video/). I do know there is a simple way to add programs to the house/persistent knoppix disk image but I guess it would take the developer giving us the code so that we can install programs unto it so as to be able to run them off the same environment. I still need to be able to add my own linux programs to the knoppix live using persistance image. If the program doesn't already contain this, the developer should include this in the next run.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
To an extent you can indeed do a simple install of a Linux app. But even that can have problems, since knoppix is a mix of several different flavors of Debian, not made purely from one release. But installing something like VMware is very machine specific, I wouldn't expect it to function via persistance and run on different systems, if it ran at all. I use Knoppix for what it is, a very handy live CD or DVD. If I want to install Linux or other Linux applications, Knoppix is certainly not my choice. I suggest Debian for hard disk installs (some like Ubuntu but I just don't see the reason for that unless you require Ubuntu to support some new hardware that Debian does not), and I woukd suggest Puppy Linux or even DSL if you want a small Live Linux that you can more easily customize to your own wishes.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By chuck in forum German Forum
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
-
By rduncan1 in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-12-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By davefarber in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 07:30 AM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-12-2003, 09:14 AM
-
By KOKIDD in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.21

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99

NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16

WD Blue 3D Nano SATA M.2 2280 1TB SSD Lot Of 12 Unknown Health Please Read Desc.
$1149.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$547.36

LaCie Rugged SSD 1TB Portable SSD USB3.1 Gen2 IP67 Waterproof
$475.00

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD
$335.99