View Poll Results: Do you believe OS traveller's mode is the way of the future?
- Voters
- 5. You may not vote on this poll
-
Using KNOPPIX as a "traveler's mode" main OS?
As I travel a lot and like to be 'light', I use various computers to look at my data from a portable hard drive, instead of carrying a laptop with me everywhere. Well, I used to go around with my laptop, but invariably the machine would break down on me, too heavy to carry around and leaving it at the hotel poses a security risk etc...
So I've decided that not only my files, but also my OS and ideally my main programs (mainly Office, MS money etc...) should sit on my hard drive and the computers I use should boot from there (well, whenever they can boot from a USB port) directly into my preferred environment
After surfing the web, the closest solution I can find to it is Knoppix. This said, before I go ahead, I'd like to ask if anyone has done that before, and if that's possible. I'm not an IT pro so any experience would be helpful
I'd have some ancillary questions too: whether office files can be read in Knoppix (what about MS Outlook?), and whether MS applications like MS Money can be installed (I doubt it thought). I'm happy to shift to new programs if that's what it takes, however is there any that runs for KNOPPIX?
In short, I don't want to Knoppix for repairs only, which seems its main mission, I want to use it as my main OS with my basic non-hardware dependent applications.
This, my friends, is the future. I say let's free the OSs from technical configuration dependence.
Similar Threads
-
By AzJazz in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
-
By fischer in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-09-2006, 11:58 AM
-
By nn_root in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-22-2006, 12:44 AM
-
By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-15-2003, 04:42 AM
-
By violinist in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$53.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC
$34.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1 - Tested -98% Life
$48.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99