Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: Please help me reassemble my RAID5! (long)

  1. #21
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11

    Yeah, not so much.

    Quote Originally Posted by cbagger01
    Maybe you cannot get to your files because you do not have the authority to access them.

    Type typing:

    sudo konqueror &

    into a terminal window and see if this session can access your files as "superuser" or root user.
    Spot on. I knew I didn't have the permissions. The question remaining, of course, is how to get them.

    When I type:

    sudo konqueror &

    I get:

    Code:
    [1] 4037
    
    $ Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-knoppix" is owned by uid1000 instead of uid 0.
    Link points to "/tmp/kdecache-root"
    Error: "/tmp/kde-knoppix" is owned by uid1000 instead of uid 0.
    Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
    So, gentle warriors of obtuse German Linux builds, how would a mac guy like me crack the permissions on my lost+found file in such a way that I can read my data? I hereby promise that once I've got my files off this thing I will trouble you no more with insipid newbie tedium...

    Seth

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    The previous command should have launched a Konqueror file manager window that was owned by user "root".

    As for the error messages, you could try to change the ownership of the file or of the symbolic links themselves by using the chown command. You will need to type:

    sudo su

    to become the "root" or superuser in order to make these changes. Here is a man page on the proper usage of the chown command:

    http://linux.die.net/man/1/chown

  3. #23
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    11

    MY FILES ARE BACK!

    Quote Originally Posted by cbagger01
    The previous command should have launched a Konqueror file manager window that was owned by user "root".
    Oh. Yeah. Duh. Once you pointed that out, I stood in the corner and ate paste for a while, then got about my merry business exactly as described.

    And now, thanks to all of you, my files are happily ensconced on a mishmash collection of external drives, soon to be combined into a single happy, handy enclosure where I will back up scrupulously, never again assume the safety of RAID just because it's always written in caps, and avoid implementing technologies that I do not fully understand.

    You all have my deepest thanks. I'm back in the saddle. If I could buy you all a beer, I most certainly would.

    Thanks again,

    Seth

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD RAID5 Issue
    By VladD in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 03:35 AM
  2. Docs Down... How Long?
    By jMon54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 04:03 PM
  3. How long do you wait?
    By nishtya in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 04:01 AM
  4. A Long Story...
    By linuX-gamEr in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
  5. How long does this take??
    By georgetoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$167.63



KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St... picture

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...

$64.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Meudeen 14500 Pa Computer Vacuum Cleaner Mini & 110000RPM Compressed Air Duster picture

Meudeen 14500 Pa Computer Vacuum Cleaner Mini & 110000RPM Compressed Air Duster

$44.27



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H picture

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H

$104.98



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US picture

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US

$21.98