-
Junior Member
registered user
Yeah, not so much.

Originally Posted by
cbagger01
Maybe you cannot get to your files because you do not have the authority to access them.
Type typing:
sudo konqueror &
into a terminal window and see if this session can access your files as "superuser" or root user.
Spot on. I knew I didn't have the permissions. The question remaining, of course, is how to get them.
When I type:
sudo konqueror &
I get:
Code:
[1] 4037
$ Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-knoppix" is owned by uid1000 instead of uid 0.
Link points to "/tmp/kdecache-root"
Error: "/tmp/kde-knoppix" is owned by uid1000 instead of uid 0.
Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
So, gentle warriors of obtuse German Linux builds, how would a mac guy like me crack the permissions on my lost+found file in such a way that I can read my data? I hereby promise that once I've got my files off this thing I will trouble you no more with insipid newbie tedium...
Seth
-
Senior Member
registered user
The previous command should have launched a Konqueror file manager window that was owned by user "root".
As for the error messages, you could try to change the ownership of the file or of the symbolic links themselves by using the chown command. You will need to type:
sudo su
to become the "root" or superuser in order to make these changes. Here is a man page on the proper usage of the chown command:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/chown
-
Junior Member
registered user
MY FILES ARE BACK!

Originally Posted by
cbagger01
The previous command should have launched a Konqueror file manager window that was owned by user "root".
Oh. Yeah. Duh. Once you pointed that out, I stood in the corner and ate paste for a while, then got about my merry business exactly as described.
And now, thanks to all of you, my files are happily ensconced on a mishmash collection of external drives, soon to be combined into a single happy, handy enclosure where I will back up scrupulously, never again assume the safety of RAID just because it's always written in caps, and avoid implementing technologies that I do not fully understand.
You all have my deepest thanks. I'm back in the saddle. If I could buy you all a beer, I most certainly would.
Thanks again,
Seth
Similar Threads
-
By VladD in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2008, 03:35 AM
-
By jMon54 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 04:03 PM
-
By nishtya in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-26-2004, 04:01 AM
-
By linuX-gamEr in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
-
By georgetoon in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$699.98

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$427.48

USB 3.2 Metal Flash Drive High Speed Portable USB Memory Stick 1TB 2TB 4TB
$22.15

1TB Internal Hard Drive HDD - 7200 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s, 64MB Cache, 3.5" Storage
$259.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$461.10

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1774.24

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 Internal SSD MZ-V8P1T0 EC
$115.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$288.98

Samsung Portable SSD T9 1TB USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Black Encrypted Drop Resistant
$185.00