-
Mounting CIFS windows shares to make backups
Why is Knoppix so great?
Here’s an application of backing up your hard drive to a windows shared drive.
I can boot up with a knoppix 5.1.1 livecd, enter knoppix 2 at the boot prompt, wait for it to boot and then mount my windows network drive with mount.cifs like so:
mkdir /mnt/mydrive
mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/my_shared_drive /mnt/mydrive -o user=myuser,pass=mypass
Then I can backup my 10GB drive to a file with:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/mydrive/myimagefile
Note that I'm mounting a NTFS partition over the network so I can have filesizes greater than 4GB with CIFS.
Also I've set my router up to give fixed IP addresses for each machine so I know what it's IP is without having to login to the router to find out the list of attached devices.
About 90 mins later, voila! An image file of my entire hard drive. How great is that??? CIFS is soooo sweet.
USING KNOPPIX TO MOUNT THE IMAGE FILE PARTITIONS
fdisk -l -u /mnt/mydrive/myimagefile shows me the partition table of my imagefile
-l flag lists the partitions
-u flag gives the partitions in sector sizes
Disk /mnt/mydrive/myimagefile: 0 MB, 0 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders, total 0 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/mnt/mydrive/myimage1 * 63 8195039 4097488+ b W95 FAT32
/mnt/mydrive/myimage2 8195040 19625759 5715360 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/mnt/mydrive/myimage5 8195103 12292559 2048728+ b W95 FAT32
63 * 512 = 32256
8195103 * 512 = 4195892736
and if I multiply the start sector by 512, I can mount a partition directly from the image file
mkdir /mnt/part1
mkdir /mnt/part2
mount -t vfat /mnt/mydrive/myimage /mnt/part1 -o loop,offset=32256
mount -t vfat /mnt/mydrive/myimage /mnt/part2 -o loop,offset=4195892736
Similar Threads
-
By unckybob in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
-
By Bendman0815 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
-
By tsitras in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-21-2004, 11:04 PM
-
By usbrit in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 05:26 AM
-
By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00