-
Knoppix & windows apps
Hey,
I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is possible and if so, what's the best way to go about doing it?
I'm just toying with the idea of creating a Knoppix CDROM which mounts /home onto a zip drive (for all my data) or I can just save it either.
But would it also be possible to remove some knoppix apps and put on some windows one somewhere.
I'll explain what i'm trying to do.
The PCs in my college are decent enough, but they have a really bad install so I was thinking I could just run along and load knoppix all the time and save my data on the zip drives. I need a lot of multimedia apps, photoshop, cinema 4d flash etc... so I could either run them from the HD that's already on the computer or bundle them with the knoppix CD.
Any thoughts if this is possible?
Thanks,
- Kevin
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi there,
For mounting /home/ on a zip, check out knx_persistant_home. ( linked to in the news forum )
And yes, you could remaster, and take of some big programs, and then you could put windows programs on the non-knoppix part of the cd. But you would have to install them on the windows machine, as I don't think you'd be able to run it from cd.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I do this in my school for my students. However, I only need linux apps and saving to a floppy data disk is sufficient for their needs.
You'd only be able to run apps with wine this way. Make sure that they work with wine first!
Regards,
-
well, good luck running PS in wine in linux. u are better off running GIMP. and u wont be able to run them off the cd i dont think
Similar Threads
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 02:09 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 08:01 AM
-
By prodmaster in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:02 PM
-
By maxter in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:37 PM
-
By WanderingStar in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 2x Xeon Gold 6132 296GB DDR4 2U Server No HDD.
$1129.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99