Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Can't find Knoppix filesystem...

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1
    I had the same problem. I routinely boot various Dell/Compaq/HP machines, using one CD-R (a TDK) I burned a few weeks ago. I just had another system with this problem, kept retrying over and over, as eventually that seems to work.

    I just tried using 'nodma' and it worked miraculously, first try.

    the optical drive is a Hitachi/LG GWA-4166B.

    Also, to above post: Live CDs lock the optical drive so you can't take the CD out. Just restart and go into the BIOS or Boot Menu and you can open and close the drive.

    Edit: I just tried it again to be sure. 'nodma' has fixed my problem this time.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3
    Ah well, this thread seems to match my problem more.
    I already wrote here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=115370#115370
    Sorry for the inconvenience!

    In short: I too get "Can't find file System"-errors, not only with knoppix, none of the cheat-codes worked.

    HAVE PHUN!

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1

    Can't find file system

    I Bought a CD of knoppix v3.6, I am pretty much getting the same problem after knoppix loads but it cannot find the file system and it goes to a very limited shell then I have to re-set, can somebody help me, I am using a desktop, I need knoppix for a class

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3
    Hi bpnoel,
    I still have the same problem with nearly every Linux Live-CD, but a short time ago someone recommended Ubuntu, as the new version 7.10 is available now.
    I tested the CD (which is a combined install and Live-CD) and it worked with no problems.
    It's using the 2.6.22-kernel, maybe you can use Ubuntu instead of Knoppix?

    Hope that helps!

    HAVE PHUN!

  5. #25
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Can't find file system

    Quote Originally Posted by bnpnoel
    I Bought a CD of knoppix v3.6, I am pretty much getting the same problem after knoppix loads but it cannot find the file system and it goes to a very limited shell then I have to re-set, can somebody help me, I am using a desktop, I need knoppix for a class
    Without more details (you didn't give us much to go on), it sounds like a bad disc. Is it pressed or burnt? If burnt it was likely burnt at high speed and that is very likely the source of your problem. This is the major reason I advise against buying a copy of a Linux CD - the seller is likely out to make a buck off of others' work and mass produces the discs as fast as he can (and often on low quality media, but even expensive media doesn't help fix high speed burn issues). It is well known here that high speed burns often cause this problem. It is also strange that you would have bought a copy of 3.6, that is a very old version of Knoppix (will not even support some modern hardware that you could have). I can't find an exact date for 3.6, but 3.7 came out in 2004! And it might not even have everything that you need for your class (again, you didn't give us much information on what you really need for your class). My advice would be to download, by BitTorrent, the newest version of Knoppix, check the md5 sum, and then burn it slowly as an image, as explained in the downloading faq.

  6. #26
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    16
    Try this cheatcode also:

    linux ide2=0x180 nopcmcia

    It works in some systems where you get that error

    It is possible that knoppix 3.6 just does not have driver support for your hardware, especially if you have a newer system, you should probably try the latest knoppix (5.1.1)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    By donkeyass in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
  2. Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry.
    By Snifro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 12:26 AM
  3. can't find Knoppix filesystem
    By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
  4. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By pskipw in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:16 AM
  5. Can't find Knoppix filesystem
    By befuddled in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 picture

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2

$200.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



8GB Samsung 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4 Laptop RAM One Stick picture

8GB Samsung 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4 Laptop RAM One Stick

$49.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99