CUPS reports (at last!) that a possible cause of my printing problems is fixed in CUPS 1.2.11.
Knoppix .5.1.1 shipped with CUPS 1.2.7, so I tried my first ever package upgrade, with synaptic.
Nice GUI!But after running:
- Edit > Reload Package Information (no problem),
marking the CUPS files for upgrade, and
Apply,
the details window reported that Gnome was not installed and raised
- E: ... segmentation error!
Run apt-get --configure -a to correct
Running apt-get --configure -a got another segmentation fault.
A thread recommended running trace on apt-get, which produced some files not found (as far as I can see, which isn't very; you're welcome to see the log.
Then I tried apt-get, dselect, and dpkg, and got the same error. (all the apt-xxx. programs that go beyond reporting are affected).
I even tried rpm. It seems to work, but I can't make heads or tails of the instructions. What, for example, has to be in the tar ball you feed to rpm-build? The files the instructions say you need are in there (I looked!), but rpm-builder said it couldn't find them.
How can I reinstall apt-xxx without using apt-get, and then upgrade CUPS?
Thanks!
HatGuy

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
HP EliteBook 840 G8 Laptop 14” FHD Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$299.99
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.7 GHz 5.2 GHz Max Boost AM5 - Good
$350.00
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)
$189.99
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99
Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98
Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$220.36