Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: booting on Intel Mac

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2

    booting on Intel Mac

    I am trying to boot an OS called hikarunix that is based on Knoppix and DSL. This may not be the best place to ask, but it is the most active forum I could find. I have found that for portability purposes, trying to boot on Intel Macs has become easier to do than on a PC. Unfortunately I have only had one success so far.

    So I was wondering if anyone had tried booting a live CD on one of the Intel Macs and what issues and solutions had come up.

    The first time I tried, I actually changed the startup disk in the system preferences and restarted that way. It actually booted the whole way, except the mouse didn't work and I didn't know what to do from there. But unless you are authorized, you can't change the startup disk on a computer. So that wouldn't work on public computers. So then I tried booting from the disk by holding C during startup. The boot process starts and goes along fine until I run into some issues with xauth and xinit.

    I get two tries at xauth: creating new authority file. then it says "giving up". then i have 2 errors, xinit: no such file or directory, and xinit: no such process.

    then i get some kind of prompt thing, related to DSL i believe dsl@tty1[dsl]$

    not sure if anyone can help. i'd love to be able to have my own 'workstation' that i can carry around with me while i'm out and about, since my only computer is an old apple imac running OS 9, i can't do much with that these days. i like the idea of knoppix, and i found it through this hikarunix OS which is loaded with programs for learning and playing GO, which is how I got there. I'm a newbie to all of this, but I am intrigued, and want to learn. i like the freedom linux seems to offer, so i'm just trying to get my foot in the door.

    thanks

    grant

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2
    Update:

    I have found that when you hold OPTION to choose the OS at startup, my live CD boots up fine, except I still have no mouse.

    Is there anything I can do within a terminal to setup the mouse?

    I also didn't get an internet connection, couldn't detect a supported network card. Is that just to be expected since I'm trying to run this on an Apple?

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix when Intel Boot Agent is installed.
    By hat_monkey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 06:49 AM
  2. Intel Problems
    By phantomreaper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 12:03 AM
  3. intel 537 modem
    By jock in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM
  4. Intel - AMD or both
    By BillS in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Intel Centrino
    By applecran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368 picture

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368

$22.99



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent picture

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent

$175.00



OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y picture

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y

$36.66



OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade picture

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade

$36.99



OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576 picture

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576

$26.99



Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New picture

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New

$33.50



New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W picture

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W

$49.95