Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Recover HDD data - knoppix is loaded but not seeing hdd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5

    Recover HDD data - knoppix is loaded but not seeing hdd

    Hello.
    I am trying to recover my files from my hdd which crashed.
    I will wait for a response before posting too much unnecessary info about my system, etc.

    I've got knoppix loaded and can see my external (the one I was going to transfer files to) and it is showing up as both the hda1 and sda1 (exact same properties). However, my hard drive is not showing up on the desktop at all.

    Suggestions?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5
    Actually, I am just that dumb and those 2 are both my external and my hdd...

    The hda1 (my hdd) cannot mount due to an ntfs inconsistency error.
    sda1 is fine and I can see all files.

    Error message is:
    Could not mount device.
    $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 2).
    Failed to mount '/dev/hda1/': I/O error.
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it twice.
    etc...

    SO, that is how I ended up here in the 1st place. When trying to repair my hdd I ran into several problems and decided I have been working on troubleshooting this for too long and just want to get my files and start from scratch.
    But when trying to run chkdsk /r from the command prompt it went to about 70% and then restarted and kept getting stuck in a loop at 50%.

    Anyway, so bottom line, I just want to recover my files. Can chkdsk /f be run from inside knoppix? Or is it telling me I need to do it from back out on the c: prompt because if that is the case then I can't do that. I was hoping knoppix would be able to help.

    Anyone, please?

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I have not seen reports of this problem before. What happens when you boot Knoppix without the external drive attached? What type drives are they and what interfaces are being used? That is, is the internal drive IDE or SATA or something else? Is the external drive connected by USB, Firewire, SATA, or something else?

    I have seen many cases where Windows corrupts a drive so bad that Knoppix can't recover it, but that still doesn't explain the external drive showing up twice.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5
    I haven't tried to boot it without the external yet.

    I think what is happening is because the hdd is not mounting, they both come up 'looking' like they are alike (as in when I go into konsole both have all the same file properties) when they are not. It's just the hdd will not mount.

    Anyway, the external is a maxtor connected by a usb/firewire (usb on laptop, firewire on maxtor). The damaged hdd is a 2 yr old HP w/ media center, I am not positive on IDE or SATA (sorry for the ingonorance)?

    I have a feeling it is so bad that there is no recovery but would like to give this a shot.

    The next idea was to run out and get a usb 2.0 to IDE and try to recover through my desktop?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Never mind my previous post, I started writing it before you posted your update. Like you I also have a couple of NTFS drives that windows has mucked up so bad that Knoppix can't read. In some cases Knoppic can indeed read files from a NTFS drive that Windows will not read. And if the partition table gets mucked up, Knoppix has tools to recover it. But in the case of a actual corrupt NTFS partition, I do not have a fix to offer.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    2
    Hi, I'm having similar problems with my external HDD

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27632

    Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by sumann
    Actually, I am just that dumb and those 2 are both my external and my hdd...

    The hda1 (my hdd) cannot mount due to an ntfs inconsistency error.
    sda1 is fine and I can see all files.

    Error message is:
    Could not mount device.
    $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 2).
    Failed to mount '/dev/hda1/': I/O error.
    NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it twice.
    etc...

    SO, that is how I ended up here in the 1st place. When trying to repair my hdd I ran into several problems and decided I have been working on troubleshooting this for too long and just want to get my files and start from scratch.
    But when trying to run chkdsk /r from the command prompt it went to about 70% and then restarted and kept getting stuck in a loop at 50%.

    Anyway, so bottom line, I just want to recover my files. Can chkdsk /f be run from inside knoppix? Or is it telling me I need to do it from back out on the c: prompt because if that is the case then I can't do that. I was hoping knoppix would be able to help.

    Anyone, please?
    A couple options:

    1) You could type in

    Code:
    sudo su
    in a terminal window to become the "root" or superuser and then try to use the ntfsfix command to try and fix your NTFS partition from within KNOPPIX:

    http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ntfsfix.8.html

    2) You could try the old fashioned read-only ntfs driver. It is more tolerant of NTFS errors.

    Open a terminal window and type:

    Code:
    sudo su
    mkdir /mnt/hda1   (or substitute whatever is your partition name instead of hda1)
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    konqueror
    and then navigate to the /mnt/hda1 folder from within konqueror, the graphical file manager that is similar to Windows Explorer.

    Good Luck.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    94
    have encountered fully functioning windows HDDs which knopix 5.1.1 fails to locate or see or put on the desktop. think it was in conjunction with a password locked bios if my memory is correct. usb drives were accessible as normal with knoppix on that computer.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by hat_monkey
    have encountered fully functioning windows HDDs which knopix 5.1.1 fails to locate or see or put on the desktop. think it was in conjunction with a password locked bios if my memory is correct. usb drives were accessible as normal with knoppix on that computer.
    Yeah there is something going on with my access because I can't do anything from C: - EVERYTHING I TRY comes up as 'access denied'.

    Any idea how to fix this password locked bios problem? This is my laptop, not a shared laptop - so I don't understand.


  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5
    Thanks cbagger!

    Running another chkdsk so no access now but I may try one or both of your options if this thing ever does anything...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. using knoppix to recover data
    By robmillard in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
  2. URGENT QUESTION - Using KNOPPIX to recover data
    By kopfhorer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 06:36 PM
  3. How to Recover Data?
    By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
  4. Trying to recover data, need help please
    By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
  5. help knoppix trying to recover data
    By bradleyko in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Client Pentium J5005 8GB RAM 128GB SSD w/Power Win 10 LTSC picture

Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Client Pentium J5005 8GB RAM 128GB SSD w/Power Win 10 LTSC

$62.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz w/XMP Ballistix RAM picture

16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz w/XMP Ballistix RAM

$50.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Micron and SK hynix RAM 56GB (4x8GB) (2x4GB) see description  picture

Micron and SK hynix RAM 56GB (4x8GB) (2x4GB) see description

$135.00