Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: booting on Intel Mac

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2

    booting on Intel Mac

    I am trying to boot an OS called hikarunix that is based on Knoppix and DSL. This may not be the best place to ask, but it is the most active forum I could find. I have found that for portability purposes, trying to boot on Intel Macs has become easier to do than on a PC. Unfortunately I have only had one success so far.

    So I was wondering if anyone had tried booting a live CD on one of the Intel Macs and what issues and solutions had come up.

    The first time I tried, I actually changed the startup disk in the system preferences and restarted that way. It actually booted the whole way, except the mouse didn't work and I didn't know what to do from there. But unless you are authorized, you can't change the startup disk on a computer. So that wouldn't work on public computers. So then I tried booting from the disk by holding C during startup. The boot process starts and goes along fine until I run into some issues with xauth and xinit.

    I get two tries at xauth: creating new authority file. then it says "giving up". then i have 2 errors, xinit: no such file or directory, and xinit: no such process.

    then i get some kind of prompt thing, related to DSL i believe dsl@tty1[dsl]$

    not sure if anyone can help. i'd love to be able to have my own 'workstation' that i can carry around with me while i'm out and about, since my only computer is an old apple imac running OS 9, i can't do much with that these days. i like the idea of knoppix, and i found it through this hikarunix OS which is loaded with programs for learning and playing GO, which is how I got there. I'm a newbie to all of this, but I am intrigued, and want to learn. i like the freedom linux seems to offer, so i'm just trying to get my foot in the door.

    thanks

    grant

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2
    Update:

    I have found that when you hold OPTION to choose the OS at startup, my live CD boots up fine, except I still have no mouse.

    Is there anything I can do within a terminal to setup the mouse?

    I also didn't get an internet connection, couldn't detect a supported network card. Is that just to be expected since I'm trying to run this on an Apple?

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix when Intel Boot Agent is installed.
    By hat_monkey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 06:49 AM
  2. Intel Problems
    By phantomreaper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 12:03 AM
  3. intel 537 modem
    By jock in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM
  4. Intel - AMD or both
    By BillS in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Intel Centrino
    By applecran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$149.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED picture

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED

$165.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$250.00



DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC  picture

DELL POWEREDGE HP IBM SERVER XEON GOLD 5415+ 8 CORE PROCESSOR 2.9 GHZ SRMGC

$1299.00