Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Alsa issue: how to make it work after rebooting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2

    Alsa issue: how to make it work after rebooting

    Hi people,

    This is my first post. I consider myself a newbie in Linux, but in general I can solve the problems by googling (which almost always ends up in this forum). For this strange problem I couldn't find out how to solve it.

    Let's start. I have a knoppix, kernel version 2.6.19, installed on my hdd. Everything started when I noticed that flash animations on webpages don't play any sound, although I can hear sounds in other applications. Then I found out that flash plugin was compiled to work with alsa instead of oss. So, I just tried to know what was going on with alsa on my computer. When executed amixer, I get:

    Code:
    amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device

    After reading, googling and so on, I executed alsaconf to configure sound. So, after that I got

    Code:
    Running update-modules... Loading driver... Usage: /etc/init.d/alsa {unload|reload|force-unload|force-reload|suspend|resume}Setting default volumes... amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device =============================================================================== Now ALSA is ready to use. For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer. Have a lot of fun!
    with no sound.

    I remembered that the sound module was snd-cmipci, so I loaded it with modprobe. Sound was back! but when I execute amixer (or, rather, any application that uses alsa) I get that 'no sound card is installed'.

    I repeat many times this, and the only way to get (non-alsa) sound is by manually loading the module.

    What I did was to reinstall alsa-related packages. So, I executed

    Code:
    apt-get install --reinstall alsa-base
    And, surprise!: alsaconf configured properly my soundcard! The consequence is that alsa-applications can play sounds! Great!

    But when I restart my system, everything goes back to the beginning. The only way to get alsa system to work is by reinstalling it and running alsaconf afterwards (in this order).

    btw, alsa-utils,base,all-other-alsa-related-packages version is 1.0.14-1

    Any clue to make it work forever?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    use this command to fix your alsa:

    (as root)
    dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base



    You can add this to the very end of /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfigure:

    dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base >/dev/null 2>&1




    OR:.... Use my script.

    reconfigure_alsa.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Ripped straight from postinst in the alsa-base package.
    #
    [ "$UID" != "0" ] && echo "Must be run as root!" && exit 1
    
    echo "Configuring ALSA..."
    
    set -e
    
    MYNAME="$0"
    
    # $* message
    warn() { echo "${MYNAME}: Warning: $*" >&2 ; }
    
    # $* message
    report_error() { echo "${MYNAME}: Error: $*" >&2 ; }
    
    devfs_is_active()
    {
    	test -e /dev/.devfsd
    }
    
    kernel_is_2_6_or_above()
    {
    	case "$(uname -r)" in
    		1.*|2.[012345]*) return 1 ;;
    		*) return 0 ;;
    	esac
    }
    
    udev_is_active()
    {
    	test -e /dev/.udev.tdb || test -d /dev/.udevdb || return 1
    	kernel_is_2_6_or_above || return 1
    	return 0
    }
    
    
    if [ -d /etc/sound ]; then 
    rmdir /etc/sound 2> /dev/null || :
    fi
    
    rm -f \
    	/etc/apm/event.d/alsa \
    	/etc/apm/event.d/alsa.dpkg-old \
    	/etc/default/alsa.debconf-backup \
    	/etc/devfs/conf.d/alsa \
    	/etc/discover.conf.d/10alsa \
    	/etc/discover.conf.d/10alsa.dpkg-old \
    	/etc/alsa/alsa-base.conf \
    	/etc/alsa/modutils/0.5 \
    	/etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 \
    	/etc/alsa/modutils/1.0 \
    	/etc/alsa/modutils/0.5.debconf-backup \
    	/etc/alsa/modutils/0.9.debconf-backup \
    	/etc/alsa/modutils/1.0.debconf-backup \
    	/etc/alsa/modprobe-post-install.d/alsa-base \
    	/etc/alsa/modprobe-post-install.d/alsa-base.dpkg-old \
    	/etc/modutils/alsa \
    	/etc/modutils/alsa-path \
    	/etc/modprobe.d/alsa
    
    # Delete hotplug blacklist backup file since hotplug doesn't ignore
    # it as it should (#299205)
    rm -f /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/alsa-base.dpkg-old
    
    # Delete obsolete rc symlinks to alsa init.d script
    # (update-rc.d produces an unnecessary warning message on stderr (see #164471) so print the error message only if its error status is nonzero)
    STDERR="$(update-rc.d -f alsa remove 2>&1 >/dev/null)" || echo "Warning: 'update-rc.d -f alsa remove' reported: '$STDERR'." >&2
    # Update modutils config
    [ "$(which update-modules 2>/dev/null)" ] && update-modules >/dev/null || :
    
    # Decide which conf file to read
    conf_file=""
    if [ -f /etc/default/alsa ] ; then
    	conf_file=/etc/default/alsa
    elif [ -f /usr/share/alsa-base/alsa.default ] ; then
    	conf_file=/usr/share/alsa-base/alsa.default
    else
    	report_error "No configuration file found"
    	exit 1
    fi
    
    	# Read variables from conf file
    force_unload_modules_before_suspend="$( 
    	. "$conf_file" >/dev/null 2>&1
    	echo "$force_unload_modules_before_suspend"
    )"
    # Write new conf file
    cat /usr/share/alsa-base/alsa.default | sed \
    	-e "s/force_unload_modules_before_suspend=.*/force_unload_modules_before_suspend=\"${force_unload_modules_before_suspend}\"/" \
    	> /etc/default/alsa
    # Run snddevices if required
    # We ignore #309581 "Creating devices not using MAKEDEV violates policy 10.6"
    make_snddevices() { /usr/share/alsa-base/snddevices --no-wipe --owner=root.audio "$@" >/dev/null ; }
    if devfs_is_active ; then
    	# devfs /dev/
    	# Run update-devfsd because we have eliminated the devfsd configuration file
    	[ "$(which update-devfsd 2>/dev/null)" ] && update-devfsd
    else
    	if ! udev_is_active || [ "$WRITE_ON_UDEV" ] ; then
    		# static /dev/ or udev-controlled /dev/ that we should write on
    		[ -d /dev/snd ] || make_snddevices
    	else
    		# udev-controlled /dev/ which we shouldn't overwrite
    		if [ -d /dev/.static/dev ] && [ -e /proc/mounts ] && grep -qE '^[^ ]+ /dev/\.static/dev' /proc/mounts ; then
    			[ -d /dev/.static/dev/snd ] || make_snddevices --dev-dir=/dev/.static/dev > /dev/null
    		elif [ -d /.dev ] && [ -e /proc/mounts ] && grep -qE '^[^ ]+ /\.dev' /proc/mounts ; then
    			[ -d /.dev/snd ] || make_snddevices --dev-dir=/.dev > /dev/null
    		fi
    	fi
    fi
    # Set up apm symlinks
    [ -f /etc/apm/scripts.d/alsa ] || warn "/etc/apm/scripts.d/alsa is absent"
    # $1: file to check
    already_linked_to_alsa()
    {
    	[ "$1" ] || return 1
    	[ -L "$1" ] || return 1
    	[ "$(basename "$(readlink "$1")")" = alsa ] || return 1
    	return 0
    }
    
    ALREADY_LINKED=no
    for F in /etc/apm/suspend.d/??alsa ; do
    	already_linked_to_alsa "$F" && ALREADY_LINKED=yes && break
    done
    [ "$ALREADY_LINKED" = yes ] || ln -sf ../scripts.d/alsa /etc/apm/suspend.d/80alsa
    ALREADY_LINKED=no
    for F in /etc/apm/resume.d/??alsa ; do
    	already_linked_to_alsa "$F" && ALREADY_LINKED=yes && break
    done
    [ "$ALREADY_LINKED" = yes ] || ln -sf ../scripts.d/alsa /etc/apm/resume.d/20alsa
    
    
    exit 0
    (as root)
    Copy the above text and paste into a new file named: /etc/init.d/reconfigure_alsa.sh ...

    Then issue (as root): ln -s /etc/init.d/reconfigure_alsa.sh /etc/rcS.d/S10reconfigure_alsa


    Reboot


    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2
    The first suggestion didn't work. The second did, but the it takes some time at boot time. Does anybody know why I/we have to do this?

    I just tried the sound in flash animations and it doesn't work I think I'll spend some more days to find out what's going on...

Similar Threads

  1. Can skype work with Knoppix?? (with no ALSA)
    By fla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 07:20 PM
  2. Alsa problem; alsa-autoconfig does not work
    By ScreamingTemporalDoom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
  3. problems with alsa alsa-autoconfig doesn't seem to work
    By dzogchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
  4. alsa no work in knoppix 3.3
    By Groke in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 02:45 PM
  5. Notebook sound ES1878 does not work (alsa instead?)
    By cy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99