Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: fstab files from other installations

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    I deleted all the ones you indicated to, now /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
    and /dev/dvd ->scd1

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    Sorry, really stupid question, I am in a shell as root, I select copy text, and then when I go to paste it into Knoppix, I there is no paste. How do I do that?
    Once you highlight text in the terminal it should already be on the clip board- you don't necessarily need to select 'Copy'.

    If you're using Konsole there is a menu at the top- select copy. I forget if CTL+V will paste or not. I use my middle mouse button to paste.

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    I'm stuck on that one, do you need all of it, or do you have enough info?
    Thanks so much for your patience,

  4. #24
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    I'm stuck on that one, do you need all of it, or do you have enough info?
    I don't need it all. If you're using KDE then there is a cool program called klipper. It can hold multiple entries and you can see what's on the clipboard. Just type klipper in a console or select it from the K menu (I don't remember where.)

    Thanks so much for your patience,
    No problem- eadz has promised a new car to the first person to hit 800 posts! I'm almost there eadz!! (It better not be a hotwheels car either!!!). :P

    I deleted all the ones you indicated to, now /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
    and /dev/dvd ->scd1
    Right on man- that's what I wanted to see. Do you see now that your drives in effect have new names? Why do you need to do this? Well, most Linux apps are not going to look for /dev/hdb or /dev/scd0 they are looking for /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd (symlinks). That way everything is universal. Can you see how this makes things easier? I realize it's a little confusing at first but I can clearly see that you're already hooked on Linux.

    Oh yeah- almost forgot, do this:

    ls -al /dev/scd0
    ls -al /dev/scd1


    Of course post the output.

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    BTW- there are different terminals not just Konsole and you don't have to open a 'root' terminal, just become root in whatever terminal you like-like this:

    su
    <password>

    Then you can do:

    whoami

    It should tell you that you are root. Maybe one of the other terminals is easier to copy/paste to and from. It's something you'll definitely need to learn to do in the very near future.

  5. #25
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    ls -al /dev/scd0
    ls -al /dev/scd1


    Of course post the output.
    OK, still having trouble with copying and pasting, but after ls -al /dev/scd0
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 May 31 2001 /dev/scd0

    ls -al /dev/scd1
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 1 May 31 2001 /dev/scd1

  6. #26
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    root@Milo:/home/knoppix# ls -al /dev/scd0
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 May 31 2001 /dev/scd0
    root@Milo:/home/knoppix# ls -al /dev/scd1
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 1 May 31 2001 /dev/scd1
    root@Milo:/home/knoppix#

    Ahah! Here we go!

  7. #27
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Wehe! I've got it, thanks so much, you deserve the car! Thanks!
    You're right, I am hooked, despite the quirks and need to fiddle with everything, I don't think I'll be going back to the evil empire...
    Thanks again!

  8. #28
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Right on- you got the copy/pasting action going on.

    Do this:

    Code:
    ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/scd0
    ln -s /dev/sr1 /dev/scd1
    So try to mount a drive now and see what happens.

    Remember: you must be root to mount a drive and you cannot mount an empty drive or an audio cd so put a data cd in your cdrom and do this:

    mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    cd /mnt/cdrom
    ls


    You should see whatever it is that's on the disk. Now do this:

    cd
    umount /dev/cdrom


    Notice that it is not uNmount- there is no n- it's umount. You should always remember to umount anything that you have mounted. How do you find out what's mounted?--You already know:

    mount

    How do you umount everything?

    umount -a

    Don't worry- it won't umount anything that's in use by the system.
    Let me know how it goes.

  9. #29
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Great, that works, and I have desktop shortcuts too, although I can't unmount the drive from the desktop? Seems odd, but I suppose that's because I'm not root. Is there an easy way to be root temporarily from the KDE GUI?
    Also, how to I delete spurious mountpoints? rm tells me they are not files, so I can't delete them. I'm guessing there is a corresponding directory delete command.
    Thanks again for all your help, Linux's quirkiness is made up for by it's supportive community!

  10. #30
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    37

    fstab

    Dear rickenbacherus
    You posts are always educational but this thread is very, very clear and detailed.
    Please keep on with the good work AND, if at all possible, collect and collate your various instructions and post so that one can search them. There is a tremendous amount of very poorly written (i. condensed) Linux info on the web.
    We, the newbies of the world, desperately need a lot more of your quality instructions.
    Many thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. sysv-rc error preventing package installations - help...
    By yekibud in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 10:35 AM
  2. driver installations don't do anything or don't work
    By splittik in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 05:48 AM
  3. Problem when moving New Fstab to the Old Fstab to fix Suse
    By cheetahman in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
  4. fstab
    By rmayer1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 08:17 AM
  5. Misc. Installations: Seismic Unix/gnuplot
    By g-ahmadi in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS picture

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS

$120.00