Depends- are your partitions and mount points the same? Just keep this in mind: When you change something like /etc/fstab before you do anything back it up- you can always restore it that way if you hose something up.
I have an fstab file from a Mandrake installation that works well, and always had trouble with my Knoppix one. I like Knoppix better than Mandrake, but is it a problem to keep my Madrake fstab, or will that shag things?
Thanks
Depends- are your partitions and mount points the same? Just keep this in mind: When you change something like /etc/fstab before you do anything back it up- you can always restore it that way if you hose something up.
The partitions are the same, but the mount points were never right under Knoppix, which is why I want to use the MAndrake FSTAB file. Is that all there is to it though, or is there another file that describes the drives?Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
You can mount any of your drives to any mount point you like, example:Originally Posted by Tortoise
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/stupid
As long as you have a mount point named 'stupid' it will mount there. Let's say your fstab looks like this:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
The first part '/dev/hda1' for example is the block device or filesystem you want to mount. The second part- '/' is the mount point that fstab will mount /dev/hda1 to.
Another example: '/dev/cdrom' is the block device- '/cdrom' is the mount point but if '/cdrom' doesn't exist then it can't be mounted there right?
Do this:
The screen output lists your mount points. You can make mount points if you need to like this:Code:cd /mnt ls
Now do this:Code:# mkdir /mnt/cdrom
You should see your new mount point listed. If you need some help getting /etc/fstab to work post it. Also post your mount points. Just copying over your fstab from another distro likely won't work- you'll still have to make some adjustments but it's not that hard once you get the idea of mount points.Code:cd /mnt ls
My fstab looks like:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda2 /music ext3 defaults 2 1
/dev/hda4 /home/rob/stuff ext3 defaults 2 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
Do this:
Post the output.Code:cd /mnt ls
knoppix@Milo:~$ cd /mntOriginally Posted by rickenbacherus
knoppix@Milo:mnt$ ls
hda1 hda2 hda3 hda6 sda
Tortoise-
Now we know that you have the mount points:
hda1 hda2 hda3 hda6 sda
Your fstab needs to use these mount points. If you need different mount points then make them like so:
cd /mnt
mkdir cdrom
I just used cdrom as an example but surely you'll want a mount point named cdrom right? You can make any mount point you want.
After creating /mnt/cdrom do this:
ls
You should now have these mount points:
hda1 hda2 hda3 hda6 sda cdrom
Post your fstab if you need more help.
Ok, so I understand how to create mountpoints now, but as far as I can see they are just directories which point to a physical drive or something like one.
How do I know what my real drives are called ie, I can create mountpoint for my two cdrws, but unless they point to the real things, they won't work - is there a command to tellme what linux is calling my different drives so that I can hook them up?
I am having the same trouble with my usb floppy, which I also cannot find!
Thanks for the help,
dmesg | lessOriginally Posted by Tortoise
If you have cdr or cdrw drives then you'll need to use SCSI emulation. Since you booted the Knoppix cd and installed I'm sure it is already set up that way. Do this:I can create mountpoint for my two cdrws, but unless they point to the real things, they won't work - is there a command to tellme what linux is calling my different drives so that I can hook them up?
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Now you should see your cdrw drives. Actually you'll see everything on the SCSI BUS.
0,0,0 - CDRW
0,1,0 - DVD
(Those are just examples- your mileage may vary) You can call your drives anything you like which makes things alot easier. Here's how:
ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrw
Translated literally ln link -s symbolicly/dev/scd0 the actual name of your cdrw /dev/cdrw the name of your new symbolic link.
Now for the test to see what /dev/cdrw really points to do this:
ls -al /dev/cdrw
It should now indicate that /dev/dvdrw is actually nothing more than a symbolic link to the actual device of /dev/scd0
OK USB floppy should be 1,0,0 on the SCSI bus. Do this:I am having the same trouble with my usb floppy, which I also cannot find!
Thanks for the help,
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
-OR-
cdrecord -scanbus
to be certain.
Then do this:
ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/floppy
Again then:
ls -al /dev/floppy
Should tell you that /dev/floppy is really just a symbolic link (a representation if you will) of /dev/sda1
Make sense?

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99
OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99
OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$36.66
Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY
$32.99
OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49
OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78
NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515
$22.00
OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576
$26.99
OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40
OEM Genuine JHT2H Battery FOR DELL Latitude 7410 7310 4V5X2 0WY9MP 0HRGYV 04V5X2
$31.99