-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
PattiMichell
It seems that ntfs works OK on 3.9 - is that true?
Good luck resolving your boot problem. There are some people here that know the ins and outs of the various boot loaders very well, some may be able to make sense of your problem. You may get better feedback in the Hardware and Booting forum than in the Laptop forum. I'll move this thread there if you indicate that is desired. I doubt that this problem would be unique to laptops.
As to ntfs working in 3.9, I'm assuming that you mean writing to ntfs (as Knoppix could always read from NTFS), and if so the answer is NO. Nore is 4.02 safe. There are reports the ntfs writing works "in a limited capacity" (whatever that means) starting in 5.0.1, but I'm not convinced and not ready to risk my partitions and all of their data to test this, particularly when corruption may not always be immidately evident. And I'm not sure ntfs writing is safe even for Windows, I have multiple ntfs drives that Windows can no longer open and Knoppix can't recover the files from (never written to by Knoppix). And time spent here has convinced me that one of the biggest things that drives people to Linux and Knoppix is ntfs file recovery. So if Windows can't write to them safely, why should I expect Knoppix to be able to do so? And how would I know if problems seen after writing to a ntfs partition with Knoppix (perhaps long after) were due to Knoppix or just another case of the Microsoft "good enough for our users" philosphy?Some others have expressed that they can make 5.x versions write to ntfs, so it's a personal choice there.
Similar Threads
-
By bengaskell in forum Laptops
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-18-2010, 12:58 AM
-
By mikebo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-01-2007, 05:55 AM
-
By hagbard in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-16-2004, 01:45 AM
-
By bigrobot in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-06-2004, 03:34 AM
-
By bigrobot in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00