Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    ..... or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Knoppix runs painfully slow even on a 64 meg ram system. I would certainly advise against wasting any money on RAM for a system that old. If you can find some free memory that is suitable go ahead and try it. But you could likely buy a used old system with more RAM and a faster CPU (and other hardware) for much less than the cost of buying just ram that would fit in that old system.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Realistically, you should have a minimum of 128MB of physical RAM memory in order to run knoppix with the KDE graphical desktop.

    There are some ways that you can use to use less RAM such as booting to a text console (no graphics) or by using a less memory hungry window manager like Fluxbox. For example, boot with:

    knoppix 2

    or

    knoppix desktop=fluxbox

    However, for only 32MB of RAM your best bet is to use a livecd that is intended for such a machine, for example Damn Small Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix hdd install doesnt work!!!
    By DragonX444 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
  2. PRINTER DOESNT WORK
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 01:09 AM
  3. Knoppix it doesnt work on Pentium Pro with 128MB RAM
    By emperor in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:06 AM
  4. sound doesnt work
    By sweeper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:11 AM
  5. k-package doesnt work
    By royalts in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Apple iBook G4 A1054 1.07GHz PowerPC G4 256MB RAM Mac OS X 10.4.11 picture

Apple iBook G4 A1054 1.07GHz PowerPC G4 256MB RAM Mac OS X 10.4.11

$69.96



Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage picture

Apple Power Macintosh 6100/60AV M1596 Vintage

$129.99



Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard + picture

Vintage Retro Apple Logic Board MAC IIFX 661-0522 820-0282-B 1990 Motherboard +

$399.95



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS picture

Vtg Apple Macintosh SE SuperDrive (FDHD) Computer Boots to Desktop Sold AS IS

$140.00



DayStar Digital 68030 50MHz Macintosh Accelerator Card w/ 68882 FPU Vintage picture

DayStar Digital 68030 50MHz Macintosh Accelerator Card w/ 68882 FPU Vintage

$399.00



VTG Apple Macintosh Owner's Guide Manual Mixed Lot With System 7 Software  picture

VTG Apple Macintosh Owner's Guide Manual Mixed Lot With System 7 Software

$200.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$224.10