Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How do I use persistence ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3

    How do I use persistence ?

    Hello,

    I am using KNOPPIX (5.1.1) on a USB key and I would like to use the persistence feature; in order to save my settings and also the contents of my home directory.

    After looking on the net to dig information on the subject; I have not yet been able to reach satisfaction.

    Can anyone help me please ?

    Here is where I am :
    From the K-menu, using "KNOPPIX -> Configure -> Save KNOPPIX configuration" I can do part of what I want.
    Keyboard setting for example works OK. But if I set the "Logout/Lock" applet button, it disapears when I restart my PC.

    I have also tried to use from the K-menu, "KNOPPIX -> Configure -> Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image", but I can' get anything from there. Even if I use "myconfig=scan home=scan" at boot time it does not work.

    I must be doing something wrong somewhere. I can see that a file called knoppix.img has been created in the partition I chose on the USB key. But nothing has ever been kept in my home directory.

    Thanks for any help.

    Bye

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    Hi,

    KNOPPIX configuration, which you find under the label "Save KNOPPIX configuration" saves: /etc/*, $HOME/.*, $HOME/office/*, and $HOME/Desktop/*. You can tell it to not save any of these, when you go through the menus. This information is restored only at bootup, and is modified only when you save a new configuration. Meaning, that every time you make a change to your settings, you will need to save the configuration over again.

    Persistent home, which you find under the label "Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image", saves only $HOME/.* and $HOME/* (everything in your home). You do not get a choice of what is saved and what is not, and you must decide upfront what size the whole thing will be. This image is mounted on startup as an actual disk. This means that any changes you make during your session, will be immediately reflected in the actual image.

    If you use both, it is possible to have contradictory information between the two, specifically in the dot-directories in your home. I have not experimented enough with this, to know which will take precedence, but I suspect the persistent home will.

    Do you have a question about something more specific?

    HTH.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3

    How do I use persistence ?

    Thanks for these indications.

    It still seems to me that whatever I do the contents of my home directory is always empty and never retained.

    There must be something wrong in the way I proceed. I have no idea what though.

    I boot using home=scan. And when I execute the mount command I can see a line like :
    /media/sdx3/knoppix.img on /KNOPPIX.IMG type ext2 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)
    showing that somehing must be happening -

    ....... Actually since I also experiment while typing this message I just noticed that my stuff are well saved under : /KNOPPIX.IMG/home/knoppix/ !!!

    But why do they appear there and not under /home/knoppix ? Did I do some thing strange?

    I seems to me that the pesistence of /home should appear under /home.

    I will be glad if someone can help me understand things clearly.

    Bye.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you only save the user Knoppix not the whole /home, nothing more

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3

    How do I use persistence ?

    Isn't there a convenient way to keep the little updates I do in my home directory ? Without having to go through the "KNOPPIX -> Configure -> Create a persistent KNOPPIX disk image" procedure each time.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    92
    Read my reply above. If you have to recreate your persistent home each time you make a change, then something is not right.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    zaxonus,

    At boot time, do you see a dialog that looks like this:

    [X] Mount persistent KNOPPIX-homedirectory
    [X] Add as persistent, writeable system area
    [ ] Overwrite / update stored system configuration
    [X] Start INIT-bootscripts (Network, printer etc.)

    < OK > < CANCEL >


    I found that when Knoppix presents you with this dialog, you have to select "OK" for the image to be mounted. If you let the dialog box timeout, then the image will NOT be mounted. If you don't see the dialog box, then Knoppix was not able to find the image. Try using home=/media/sd??/knoppix.img in your syslinux.cfg (You have to fill in the ??; I use home=/media/sda4/knoppix.img). I am trying to find out how to get this dialog to default to "OK" instead of "CANCEL".

    Hope this helps.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    39

    Create new home

    moved to new post.

Similar Threads

  1. Questions About Persistence
    By mr-roboto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
  2. Asking for Persistence options details explained
    By j0m in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 09:32 AM
  3. New 3.8 UnionFS Persistence -- Howto?
    By heiby in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 08:39 PM
  4. UnionFS Persistence and ramdisk?
    By heiby in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 06:40 PM
  5. Boot & Persistence Questions in 3.4
    By newiaqua in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 07:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 Server 2.10Ghz 32-Core 64GB RAM Startup picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 Server 2.10Ghz 32-Core 64GB RAM Startup

$763.95



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00



Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S picture

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S

$660.00