-
Junior Member
registered user
Installed Knoppix to HD for first time.
Hello. I've had a copy of Knoppix 4.0.2 since 2005, so obviously I'm way behind the times.
My laptop's HD crashed, so my father got me a brand-spanking new HD, no OS. Therefore, the laptop told me that the Boot Sector is invalid, due to nothing on it.
I inserted the LiveDVD into the computer, booted into Knoppix, and attempted to install it to the HD. I followed the instructions to a T, and the OS successfully installed. In fact, it's the only OS on the HD.
With the install out of the way, I shut down the system to reboot the computer. I removed the DVD, and proceeded to reboot. The boot was unsuccessful, the same message "Boot Sector is invalid" came up. Maybe I was supposed to do something that wasn't in the instructions I got at the Knoppix.net wiki article on HD Install How-to?
I thought I installed to the master boot record but the laptop isn't liking what it finds there or something? But i'm not sure.
I installed Knoppix instead of Windows because I already have WinXP on one computer, why bother installing another XP on a laptop that's 6 years old? And frankly, I could use a practice system for linux without the hassles of dual-booting.
Did I do something wrong, and how can I fix this?
On another note, my version of Knoppix (4.0.2) doesn't recognize my Wireless-G PCMCIA adapter from Linksys (model no. WPC54G). The length of time since 4.0.2 until 5.2 could have been enough to get the code for implementation of this model of wireless device, hypothetically speaking. What additions to Knoppix have been made to the wireless networking segment, since my version 4.0.2? I'm sure that's going to be a long list... Could you please narrow it down to Linksys Wireless-G, if at all applicable?
Thanks for your quick responses and advice!
Grant
Similar Threads
-
By Howard Kaikow in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-19-2009, 04:47 PM
-
By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
-
By Fabianx in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-14-2006, 11:30 PM
-
By GaTk in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM
-
By Nightshade7676 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$18.95

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal
$98.95