I have successfully used Puppy 2.17 and Knoppix 5.1.1, Booting off a USB. ( FAT 32) 1GB Sand Disk Ultra USB SD.
I got a little discouraged with trying to get Beryl working on Puppy. (primary sys- Intel 945G video)
A.)
http://puppylinux.org
I like how puppy boots up fast and runs on older systems.
Puppy was originally build ground up with a small foot print in mind. (These days, size isn't as much of a concern though.)
I had problems installing removing applications in Puppy. Also had problems with packages being outdated/missing or video (Intel 845G) Dri not Active/Open Gl from Original CD. Takes a little work.
Seems to take a lot of tweaking to get Beryl working in Puppy.
B.)Knoppix 5.1.1 boot off USB.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01...b-knoppix-510/
It does seem to boot slower. Beryl is native using cheat codes.
I like that Knoppix has a lot support in Package manager and hardware detection. It seems easier to install apps.
It seems Knoppix is more solid and supported. Is this assumption true?
If Knoppix booting off USB 'Emulates' a live boot from CD, how easy / hard is it to add remove apps? Do I have to recreate the "Live-CD"?
For example; I don't need Open office at the moment (400MB) or silly games and other apps that are packaged with 5.1.1.
How do I remove them? I tried through the package manager, but Office was still there and the updates didn't stick after restarting.
Do I have to stick with a 750MB partition for the "emulation of a Live CD" boot? I want to trim down the original package to what don't use, then build it up with what I do use.
Is Puppy ideal being that, Knoppix seems to simulate a live CD distro using Persistence mode versus Puppy using one big personal file.
I ran out of space on the 1Gb memory with Knoppix. (Im getting a 2Gb tomorrow.)
Trying to way to cons/pros
Is there a way to configure a hardware profile at boot up? Meaning, It wont have to do a hardware detect again. I could just select, PC#2 or #4
At boot up and it would boot faster.
I do like the Eye Candy and transparencies (like Beryl) but also the portability. (Being able to boot on any of most of todays systems - good hardware detection.)
Trying to figure which Distro I want to stick with. (Knoppix or Puppy)
I want to decide, so that way I will spend my time to configure and customize...
Thanks for all you time / input/ Advice on this.
I am a novice to linux. , but learning.. Confused [/b]![]()

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Lot of DDR4 Sodimm Laptop Ram (8-8GB sticks) (1-4GB Stick)
$250.00
F4-3200C16D-64GVK G.Skill RipJaws 32GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz Memory
$159.00
G.Skill Flare X5 32GB (2x16GB) (DDR5-6000 DDR5 RAM Memory Cl30-38-38-96 AMD EXPO
$419.95
LOT of 5 x DDR5 Sodimm Laptop RAM Pc5-5600B
$375.00
Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz Desktop 288 -Pin RAM Kit -OPEN BOX
$114.99
16GB(2x 8GB) Crucial DDR3L-1600 SODIMM / Lot of 2 8GB / Laptop RAM Memory / A25
$17.99
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00
SK HYNIX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Laptop RAM MEMORY
$79.99