Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    ..... or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Knoppix runs painfully slow even on a 64 meg ram system. I would certainly advise against wasting any money on RAM for a system that old. If you can find some free memory that is suitable go ahead and try it. But you could likely buy a used old system with more RAM and a faster CPU (and other hardware) for much less than the cost of buying just ram that would fit in that old system.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Realistically, you should have a minimum of 128MB of physical RAM memory in order to run knoppix with the KDE graphical desktop.

    There are some ways that you can use to use less RAM such as booting to a text console (no graphics) or by using a less memory hungry window manager like Fluxbox. For example, boot with:

    knoppix 2

    or

    knoppix desktop=fluxbox

    However, for only 32MB of RAM your best bet is to use a livecd that is intended for such a machine, for example Damn Small Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix hdd install doesnt work!!!
    By DragonX444 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
  2. PRINTER DOESNT WORK
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 01:09 AM
  3. Knoppix it doesnt work on Pentium Pro with 128MB RAM
    By emperor in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:06 AM
  4. sound doesnt work
    By sweeper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:11 AM
  5. k-package doesnt work
    By royalts in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives picture

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives

$59.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US picture

FLASHFORGE AD5X Upgraded Multi-Color 3D Printer CoreXY High-Speed Auto Refill US

$349.00