Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    ..... or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Knoppix runs painfully slow even on a 64 meg ram system. I would certainly advise against wasting any money on RAM for a system that old. If you can find some free memory that is suitable go ahead and try it. But you could likely buy a used old system with more RAM and a faster CPU (and other hardware) for much less than the cost of buying just ram that would fit in that old system.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Realistically, you should have a minimum of 128MB of physical RAM memory in order to run knoppix with the KDE graphical desktop.

    There are some ways that you can use to use less RAM such as booting to a text console (no graphics) or by using a less memory hungry window manager like Fluxbox. For example, boot with:

    knoppix 2

    or

    knoppix desktop=fluxbox

    However, for only 32MB of RAM your best bet is to use a livecd that is intended for such a machine, for example Damn Small Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix hdd install doesnt work!!!
    By DragonX444 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
  2. PRINTER DOESNT WORK
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 01:09 AM
  3. Knoppix it doesnt work on Pentium Pro with 128MB RAM
    By emperor in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:06 AM
  4. sound doesnt work
    By sweeper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:11 AM
  5. k-package doesnt work
    By royalts in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$699.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe picture

Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe

$449.99



IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D picture

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D

$219.99



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99