Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    32

    Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt work

    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    ..... or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Knoppix runs painfully slow even on a 64 meg ram system. I would certainly advise against wasting any money on RAM for a system that old. If you can find some free memory that is suitable go ahead and try it. But you could likely buy a used old system with more RAM and a faster CPU (and other hardware) for much less than the cost of buying just ram that would fit in that old system.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: Knoppix 5.1.1 - 128MB swap on P2-200MHz 32MB RAM doesnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2222
    That's right a Pentium 200MHz with 32Mb of RAM I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.1.1 KDE with a swap file size of 128Mb and it doesn't work I thought a larger swap file would allow you to run it?

    I first tried a swap file of 60Mb and after trying to load it said I needed 82Mb of RAM and it just loaded knoppix with a shell prompt. Then I tried a swap file size of 128Mb, it took forever to finish doing what it was doing (running on 30 minutes or so) then finally it said. You need at least 82Mb more memory.

    Am I going to be able to use the GUI in knoppix with this setup or am I going to have to find more RAM.
    Realistically, you should have a minimum of 128MB of physical RAM memory in order to run knoppix with the KDE graphical desktop.

    There are some ways that you can use to use less RAM such as booting to a text console (no graphics) or by using a less memory hungry window manager like Fluxbox. For example, boot with:

    knoppix 2

    or

    knoppix desktop=fluxbox

    However, for only 32MB of RAM your best bet is to use a livecd that is intended for such a machine, for example Damn Small Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix hdd install doesnt work!!!
    By DragonX444 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
  2. PRINTER DOESNT WORK
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 01:09 AM
  3. Knoppix it doesnt work on Pentium Pro with 128MB RAM
    By emperor in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:06 AM
  4. sound doesnt work
    By sweeper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:11 AM
  5. k-package doesnt work
    By royalts in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$68.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W  Unused picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W Unused

$189.00



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205 picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205

$317.56