Thanks to the great guide by Krellan2 at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key, I now have a 1Gig USB key booting Knoppix.
However, for several reasons, I need to be able to emulate Knoppix as well. Sometimes I may be at a computer that I am not permitted to reboot, and some need to remain in windows to perform normal tasks (i.e. computer at work). To this end, I am trying to get Qemu to run the bootable USB key.
This far, I have tried copying the qemu-0.8.1 directory from the DVD release to the USB device, and running the start.bat from that directory fails. Qemu loads, then fails immediately. It shows the POST screen, ata1 master: QEMU CD-Rom ATAPI-4etc etc, but then says CDROM boot failure code : 0004 \ Boot from CD-Rom failed \ FATAL: Could not read the boot disk.
Trying to create a custom batch file has yeilded better results, but still wont fully boot. It proceeds through the boot process until it tries to mount the root filesystem. Here is the batch file contents.
The last lines fail withCode:qemu-0.8.1\qemu.exe -L qemu-0.8.1 -no-kqemu -kernel linux -initrd minirt.gz -hda KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
Any help would be appreciated.Code:RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0. No filesystem could mount root, tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 msdos vfat iso9660 fuseblk Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor
$27.99
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i7-12700K 12th Gen Desktop Processor – LGA 1700 – Unlocked
$280.00
Intel Core I7-13700KF Processor
$274.99
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
AMD RYZEN 5 3600X 6-core 12-thread 3.8 GHz base clock AM4 CPU Processor
$65.00
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99
Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99