Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Password problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4

    Password problem

    I am aware that Knoppix 5.1.1 Live DVD does not have a "root password" as this is locked by default, and that "What's the root password?" is one of the most common questions you must get on these forums. However, I am trying to load up 5.1.1 into the Gnome desktop, and whenever I try to do anything like getting online, or editing preferences, in Gnome it asks for a password. Pressing "Enter" on its own doesn't do it. I have looked on the internet already and tried one solution suggested - going into the Shell and typing "passwd" to try and specify a password - but all that does is ask for the original password, which of course I don't have!

    It seems that at least the Gnome desktop in 5.1.1 requires a password - so I am forced to ask the question: "What is the root password for Knoppix 5.1.1?"

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177

    Re: Password problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve W
    ... I have looked on the internet already and tried one solution suggested - going into the Shell and typing "passwd" to try and specify a password - but all that does is ask for the original password, which of course I don't have! ...
    Which Shell did you use ? - as you are running from the Live DVD then use the Root Shell offered by the Knoppix menu (not the normal KDE Kicker menu), enter
    Code:
    passwd root
    and make up your own password as prompted.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for that - I'll give it a go.

    Steve

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4
    This has worked and I can now specify a new password. However, a new problem has arisen: I need to connect to the internet using the Modem Dialler facility, but when I enter the properties for this (the number to dial, login details etc), I cannot connect to the internet as the device is not recognised. Under the window for this, it only gives me two ethernet connections and an ISDN hookup - no modem dialup.

    I am aware that when I use Knoppix under KDE, I have to tell Knoppix to use S0 for dev/modem, as well as setting up the dialling and account details. Is there an equivalent under Gnome, and if so, where is it?

    Thanks for any help you can give. I do prefer the Gnome desktop to KDE - but it looks like it doesn't prefer me!

    Steve Wylie

Similar Threads

  1. Root Password Problem
    By Steveb357 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
  2. sudo password problem
    By thefetch in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 08:03 AM
  3. Root Password Problem
    By kwyjibo730 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 08:24 PM
  4. admin password problem
    By Sabonis in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 02:43 AM
  5. kpackage password problem
    By extradudeguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 09:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY  picture

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY

$500.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



128GB (4x32GB) Samsung DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 PC4-2666V M393A4K40CB2-CTD7Y picture

128GB (4x32GB) Samsung DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 PC4-2666V M393A4K40CB2-CTD7Y

$798.00



SK Hynix HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM picture

SK Hynix HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM

$329.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



M386A8K40CM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V MEMORY  picture

M386A8K40CM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V MEMORY

$319.00