Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Copy files from old hdd to new raid0 dynamic disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1

    Copy files from old hdd to new raid0 dynamic disk

    Hello folks,
    I've just bought two WD 250Gb SATAII and I put them to run as raid0 on my pc (running windows xp).
    The array works fine, I formated it as one huge 450mb partition, and I was able to write and read files from it.
    What I wanna do is copy exactly everything that's on the old SATA disk to the new raid0 dynamic disk.
    I allready tryed Western Digital Lifeguard tool, and I was able to copy (almost) everything (just not a few files, wich the program said aren't essential for windows to run), but when I started windows from the new drive, I got a black screen written "Disk boot error. Please insert system disk and press enter". When I do this, it starts the windows on the old hdd. I tryed using some commands like fixboot or fixmbr on the xp install cd recovery tool, but nothing worked.
    So I formatted the dynamic disk again, and I wanna try using knoppix to copy the files.
    First thing, is this possible? If needed, I have the nvidia raid drivers on a floppy disk.
    If yes, how to do it? I've read something about ddrescue, but I never worked with linux, so I'm kind of lost. The last thing I wanna do is loose the data on my old hdd!
    Could someone please help me?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    When RAID is implimented in software, with drivers only available to Windows, then Knoppix can't read from or write to the RAID system. Linux does have RAID support of it's own, but there is no reason to expect that it will be compatable with a Windows system (particularly if the Windows RAID is NTFS).
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Using dmraid to get data off a RAID0 disk array
    By cadeceus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 11:53 AM
  2. disk copy?
    By elleric in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 09:50 PM
  3. Is it possible to resize/copy persistant disk image?
    By mark.johnson in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 05:14 PM
  4. how can I copy file to floppy disk?
    By N1N in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 06:56 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 06:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99