Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Changing screen resolution after booting from HDD ver 5.0

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Changing screen resolution after booting from HDD ver 5.0

    I can not change the screen resolution after I boot from HDD. When I try to change the resolution it does not give me any other options apart from 800 x 600. I wanted to chage it to 1024x 768. Will I have to download the driver ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Log on to a console (i.e. not KDE) as root, then enter the command :
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    which will give you a dialogue to configure your X system. This should offer you a choice of drivers; if you are lucky there may be one for your graphics system, already installed and available to replace the generic driver that was probably installed by the hd installer.
    Then log out of the Console; after a few moments the KDM login screen should reappear.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    How to know what is the type of my VGA card

    I ran the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command and it asked me for the model of my VGA card. From Knoppix I wasnt able to find this out so I booted Windows and found that it is an Intel card.

    Agian I ran [/b]dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg [b] command but it doesnt given Intel as one of the companies to select so I gave generic VGA as the choice. But it hasnt worked . When I try to set the screen resolution I get only one choice and not many, indicating that the driver is not located. My VGA card is in built on the motherboard incidentally.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Display adapter driver installation problem

    I found the Linux driver of the card on the net. But this was for Red hat Linux and it is not in packaged format. There is an install.sh script in it. When I run the script., the install log file gives me the following output.

    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17/build SUBDIRS=/home/deepak/Desktop/Desktop/dripkg/agpgart-2.0 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
    make -f Makefile.linux DRM_MODULES=gdg.ko modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/deepak/Desktop/Desktop/dripkg/drm'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/deepak/Desktop/Desktop/dripkg/drm'




    When I run the install script, the errors on the screen are as folows:-
    I verified that the /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts directory does not exist and that is what the error below says.
    I have to modify the script with Knoppix kernel paths and try to run it now.

    DIRECT RENDERING OPEN SOURCE PROJECT - DRIVER INSTALLATION SCRIPT

    [ http://dri.sourceforge.net ]

    ================================================== ========================
    The script will now compile the agpgart module and DRM kernel modules
    for your machine.

    Press ENTER to continue or CTRL-C to exit.


    Compiling new agpgart module...Makefile:266: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory.
    Makefile:486: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile'. Stop.
    make: *** [default] Error 2


    ERROR: AGPGART module did not compile

    Compiling DRM module...Makefile:266: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory
    Makefile:486: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile'. Stop.
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make: *** [gdg.ko] Error 2


    ERROR: Kernel modules did not compile

    The DRI drivers can not be installed without the latest kernel modules.
    Installation will be aborted. See the dri.log file for information on
    what went wrong.


  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    It looks as if you don't have the kernel header files installed, which I would expect if you installed 5.0 from a CD ; only the 5.0 DVD has these files. Unfortunately, they are not in a package in the 5.0 DVD, so if you get the DVD you would have to identify the files and copy them across to the HDD.
    I no longer have 5.0 on my system so I can't remember all the details; you can identify what is needed from your script messages like :-
    Compiling DRM module...Makefile:266: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory
    Makefile:486: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    Red hat Linux and Debian file structure

    Unfortunately, they are not in a package in the 5.0 DVD, so if you get the DVD you would have to identify the files and copy them across to the HDD.
    I feel that the install.sh script is for Redhat Linux and the file structure like whrere the kernel modules are kept etc. in Redhat and Debian will not match. So the install.sh needs to be modified which will reflect correct path names and file names as applicable to Debian. I can post the contents of the install.sh script if required.

    As for searching the files on DVD as suggeested by JonnyH, I do not have the DVD version and hence could not try it out.[/b]

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177

    Re: Red hat Linux and Debian file structure

    Quote Originally Posted by deepak_abc
    ...
    I feel that the install.sh script is for Redhat Linux and the file structure like whrere the kernel modules are kept etc. in Redhat and Debian will not match. So the install.sh needs to be modified which will reflect correct path names and file names as applicable to Debian. ...As for searching the files on DVD as suggeested by JonnyH, I do not have the DVD version and hence could not try it out. ...
    Yes, this may well be the case - I didn't mention it at first because the first step, if you want to get anywhere, has to be to get the header files.
    But then, if the Red Hat script fails, you would be better off if you can find a non-distro-specific tarball for the driver on the net.
    Have you tried Knoppix 5.1.1 ? that *might* have the driver already - and if you get the DVD version you will have the headers for 5.1.1 if you need them.

Similar Threads

  1. Changing Screen Resolution
    By Rambunctious.Amoeba in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM
  2. Problem with Changing Screen Resolution
    By clifbone in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 04:42 PM
  3. Changing screen resolution in Knoppix
    By Hylle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 04:51 PM
  4. about changing my screen resolution so I dont get over range
    By SSVegetto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2004, 07:19 AM
  5. Changing screen resolution...
    By howagood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99