Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Blank screen trying to boot on Averatec 6200 laptop.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2

    Blank screen trying to boot on Averatec 6200 laptop.

    I can't get Knoppix STD 0.1b to boot. I have tried all of the cheats related to the graphics card. Nothing seems to work. The screen flickers then goes black. Please help. I am trying to reset my admin password in XP. I have spent more time trying to get knoppix to work than I thought it would take to fix my problem. HELP!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    1) Knoppix STD is not Knoppix, it's a different system derived from Knoppix.

    2) I believe the software that you are trying to use is quite old, might be too old to run on your hardware.

    3) Even if you believe that the newer versions of Knoppix can safely write to NTFS (I'm not convinced yet), that old distro will not be able to safely write to NTFS, so it will not be able to make any password change.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    As I am new to Knoppix, do you have any suggestions as to the best way to do this. My SysKey was reset accidentally and I need a way to change the admin password. I have been told to use Knoppix STD but it fails. Another suggestion was to use Knoppix 5.1. Are you suggesting that I don't use either? Or is there a better way to do this? Any help is appreciated. THX

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Knoppix STD can not write to NTFS partitions, will destroy the partition if you manage to get it to try.

    Some people think Knoppix can now safely write to NTFS. I'm not convinced and would not risk my data to test it. You are free to do believe whichever you wish.

    If I were in your case (although I can't imagine how that could happen), I would use Knoppix to recover what files I wanted from the system in question, then do a full reinstall of Windows (assuming you still want Windows). That way Knoppix only reads the disk, does not write it, which is safe. See the Rescue FAQ for details.

    While we know of Knoppix STD here, it is very old, apparently abandoned, and we really can't support it.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Averatec 3200 laptop & My own 2.6.9 kernel.
    By myjess in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 07:51 PM
  2. I can boot but screen goes blank on entering X Windows
    By patty34 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
  3. Blank Boot Screen
    By kirupa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 09:33 PM
  4. Blank screen on boot (the very beginning)
    By Frozen Fire in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 06:30 AM
  5. White screen of DEATH. (Laptop install) Averatec 3120
    By malic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 16 Gb Ddr 4-3200 Laptop Memory picture

Samsung 16 Gb Ddr 4-3200 Laptop Memory

$50.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot of 53x -8gb DDR4 RAM Memory mixed brands skyhinx&micron picture

Lot of 53x -8gb DDR4 RAM Memory mixed brands skyhinxµn

$2100.00



Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X32GB) 256GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$1649.99



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



16GB Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1UI PC4-3200AA DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory picture

16GB Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1UI PC4-3200AA DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory

$99.99



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$378.00