Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: too lazy to type boot codes

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2

    too lazy to type boot codes

    How can I automate my boot codes so I don't have to type them at the boot prompt?
    I don't want to "install" knoppix. I have used tohd so it will run off HDD after boot. I also use myconfig. So my boot codes look like this:
    knoppix myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6
    I'm using knoppix 5.1.
    I no longer have the original .iso file.
    I'd really like to not have to put the Knoppix boot CD in at all. (I'll live with it. This is secondary)
    I do not want to change my XP MBR.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: too lazy to type boot codes

    Quote Originally Posted by ches
    How can I automate my boot codes so I don't have to type them at the boot prompt?
    I don't want to "install" knoppix. I have used tohd so it will run off HDD after boot. I also use myconfig. So my boot codes look like this:
    knoppix myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6
    I'm using knoppix 5.1.
    I no longer have the original .iso file.
    I'd really like to not have to put the Knoppix boot CD in at all. (I'll live with it. This is secondary)
    I do not want to change my XP MBR.
    Interesting question. I did some research on this topic and here is my solution to your request:

    Remaster your knoppix boot CD so it contains the "myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6" as the default boot option.

    Follow the remaster steps on http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    Before you move on to create the ISO image, change the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script.

    At the beginning of the script, add the following line:

    Code:
    export CMDLINE="${CMDLINE} myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6"
    Save the file.

    Create the ISO and burn it to the cd.

    Here you go, boot from the CD and it should be all automatic now.

    Pro: Simple and straight forward
    Con: You still need to boot it up with the CD

    I did not test it out myself. Just let us know the result when you're done. It's gonna be interesting.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: too lazy to type boot codes

    Sorry folks, I was given wrong info in my last post.

    I take a second look on the script /etc/init.d/autoconfig, the default boot setting is stored at the file /proc/cmdline.

    So the correct way to do it is:

    Method 1: Edit /proc/cmdline file, add the string "myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6" at the end of the file. Save it and remaster the CD.

    Method 2: Edit /etc/init.d/autoconfig file, at line 109, you will find the statement

    Code:
    CMDLINE="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
    Right after this statement, add the line

    Code:
    CMDLINE="${CMDLINE} myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6"
    Save the file and remaster the CD.

    I tried a couple of times trying to remastering the CD but unfortunately the remaster CD ISO image is far larger than the 700MB so I cannot burn it to the CD and try it.

    I pretty much sure my idea will work but just not been able to prove my concept.

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Boot codes for Hard Drive Install
    By netfun81 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
  2. black screen, used boot cheat codes
    By famousnation in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 04:00 PM
  3. Cannot type anything at boot prompt !
    By markraem in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
  4. Setting default boot Cheat Codes
    By cld in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 01:45 PM
  5. System Type-(0F) Boot Error
    By Kymira in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air picture

Genuine OEM Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable for MacBook Pro Air

$8.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$499.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$20.59



apple oem 20w charger usb-c power adapter picture

apple oem 20w charger usb-c power adapter

$9.99



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter  A1344 ~ FREE S/H picture

Genuine OEM Apple 60W MagSafe Power Adapter A1344 ~ FREE S/H

$12.99



Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$18.00



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



Apple 96W USB-C Power Adapter - White - Genuine OEM - NEW SEALED - MacBook Pro picture

Apple 96W USB-C Power Adapter - White - Genuine OEM - NEW SEALED - MacBook Pro

$44.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99