Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: too lazy to type boot codes

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2

    too lazy to type boot codes

    How can I automate my boot codes so I don't have to type them at the boot prompt?
    I don't want to "install" knoppix. I have used tohd so it will run off HDD after boot. I also use myconfig. So my boot codes look like this:
    knoppix myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6
    I'm using knoppix 5.1.
    I no longer have the original .iso file.
    I'd really like to not have to put the Knoppix boot CD in at all. (I'll live with it. This is secondary)
    I do not want to change my XP MBR.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: too lazy to type boot codes

    Quote Originally Posted by ches
    How can I automate my boot codes so I don't have to type them at the boot prompt?
    I don't want to "install" knoppix. I have used tohd so it will run off HDD after boot. I also use myconfig. So my boot codes look like this:
    knoppix myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6
    I'm using knoppix 5.1.
    I no longer have the original .iso file.
    I'd really like to not have to put the Knoppix boot CD in at all. (I'll live with it. This is secondary)
    I do not want to change my XP MBR.
    Interesting question. I did some research on this topic and here is my solution to your request:

    Remaster your knoppix boot CD so it contains the "myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6" as the default boot option.

    Follow the remaster steps on http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    Before you move on to create the ISO image, change the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script.

    At the beginning of the script, add the following line:

    Code:
    export CMDLINE="${CMDLINE} myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6"
    Save the file.

    Create the ISO and burn it to the cd.

    Here you go, boot from the CD and it should be all automatic now.

    Pro: Simple and straight forward
    Con: You still need to boot it up with the CD

    I did not test it out myself. Just let us know the result when you're done. It's gonna be interesting.

    Rgds,
    Chip

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    204

    Re: too lazy to type boot codes

    Sorry folks, I was given wrong info in my last post.

    I take a second look on the script /etc/init.d/autoconfig, the default boot setting is stored at the file /proc/cmdline.

    So the correct way to do it is:

    Method 1: Edit /proc/cmdline file, add the string "myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6" at the end of the file. Save it and remaster the CD.

    Method 2: Edit /etc/init.d/autoconfig file, at line 109, you will find the statement

    Code:
    CMDLINE="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
    Right after this statement, add the line

    Code:
    CMDLINE="${CMDLINE} myconfig=/media/hda6 fromhd=/dev/hda6"
    Save the file and remaster the CD.

    I tried a couple of times trying to remastering the CD but unfortunately the remaster CD ISO image is far larger than the 700MB so I cannot burn it to the CD and try it.

    I pretty much sure my idea will work but just not been able to prove my concept.

    Rgds,
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Boot codes for Hard Drive Install
    By netfun81 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 07:10 PM
  2. black screen, used boot cheat codes
    By famousnation in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 04:00 PM
  3. Cannot type anything at boot prompt !
    By markraem in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 09:51 PM
  4. Setting default boot Cheat Codes
    By cld in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 01:45 PM
  5. System Type-(0F) Boot Error
    By Kymira in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1165G7 2.80GHz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11

$284.99



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$235.00



LENOVO THINKPAD P15S GEN 2i  CORE I7-1185G7 2.8GHZ 32GB 512GB NVIDIA T500 W11 picture

LENOVO THINKPAD P15S GEN 2i CORE I7-1185G7 2.8GHZ 32GB 512GB NVIDIA T500 W11

$300.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$249.99