Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: have knoppix dvd - can't access internet after 4 hours

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    3

    have knoppix dvd - can't access internet after 4 hours

    i have latest knoppix dvd. My system is an Hp pavillion 754n 2.53 p4 with realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet. I am on a comcast high speed internet connection running through a motorola sb4220 surfboard cable modem. I have tried the network card configuration deal - put in right data - tried auto detect - tried pump -i eth0 and eth1 - and am totally at a loss. I cannot get online through knoppix to save my life. Debian on the otherhand works like a champ. I even tried to load linux rtl8139 driver's into system - but not totally sure how to do it. I know next to nothing about linux - so am i a born loser or what........lol. Any input would be greatly appreciated - i will give old college try on just about anything.... thanks
    Rich

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    3
    i guess i'll just go get a different net card - may work and may not work .......lol

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    Hold on to your 8139 card for the moment it is supported in 5.1.1
    What output do you get if you type
    Code:
    ifconfig
    in a console ?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    3
    hey hey - posting this with knoppix - most cool- got a copy of kubuntu linux and did a check on it's network configuration . Found out that my broadcast address was wrong - changed it and walla - on line. It's like my great grandfather used to say - if at first you don't succeed - buy a bigger gun...........lol. I'll be spending a lot of time in here - want to have something under my belt besides relying solely on windows---lol. I figure half an hour a day learning linux will get me somewhere soon .......... take care all

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    64
    please tell us - exactly what did you change and how -
    I can't get an IP from DHCP on an HP pavilion 1100 -
    the only computer I have tried (of many) that can't DHCP
    with knoppix 5.11

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't know if it's related or not, but I also had an HP Pavilion notebook that Knoppix couldn't use the network on. The thing is, networking worked fine with Knoppix when I first got it, stopped working only after I allowed the notebook to accept "Microsoft security updates"! Then the same versions of Knoppix that used to work on the notebook no longer would! You can read about that in this thread and this thread.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet Access in XP defeated by running Knoppix 6.0.1
    By johnsanders in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM
  2. Trying to access the internet
    By Black Knight in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM
  3. cannot access internet with knoppix 5.0
    By knophack in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
  4. Knoppix just saved me HOURS of work
    By Zero_1984 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 02:22 AM
  5. Can't access internet
    By Wrincle in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 07:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99