i guess i'll just go get a different net card - may work and may not work .......lol
i have latest knoppix dvd. My system is an Hp pavillion 754n 2.53 p4 with realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet. I am on a comcast high speed internet connection running through a motorola sb4220 surfboard cable modem. I have tried the network card configuration deal - put in right data - tried auto detect - tried pump -i eth0 and eth1 - and am totally at a loss. I cannot get online through knoppix to save my life. Debian on the otherhand works like a champ. I even tried to load linux rtl8139 driver's into system - but not totally sure how to do it. I know next to nothing about linux - so am i a born loser or what........lol. Any input would be greatly appreciated - i will give old college try on just about anything.... thanks
Rich
i guess i'll just go get a different net card - may work and may not work .......lol
Hold on to your 8139 card for the momentit is supported in 5.1.1
What output do you get if you typein a console ?Code:ifconfig
hey hey - posting this with knoppix - most cool- got a copy of kubuntu linux and did a check on it's network configuration . Found out that my broadcast address was wrong - changed it and walla - on line. It's like my great grandfather used to say - if at first you don't succeed - buy a bigger gun...........lol. I'll be spending a lot of time in here - want to have something under my belt besides relying solely on windows---lol. I figure half an hour a day learning linux will get me somewhere soon .......... take care all
![]()
![]()
please tell us - exactly what did you change and how -
I can't get an IP from DHCP on an HP pavilion 1100 -
the only computer I have tried (of many) that can't DHCP
with knoppix 5.11
I don't know if it's related or not, but I also had an HP Pavilion notebook that Knoppix couldn't use the network on. The thing is, networking worked fine with Knoppix when I first got it, stopped working only after I allowed the notebook to accept "Microsoft security updates"! Then the same versions of Knoppix that used to work on the notebook no longer would! You can read about that in this thread and this thread.

Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag
$127.77
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC
$99.99
Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00
Lot of 12 Vintage 1960's Military Logic Cards PCB Set Germanium Transistors
$299.00
Ven-Tel A/C 103 Acoustically Coupled Computer Modem Vintage
$299.99
Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99
Vtg 370CPU Rev 370 FC-PGA converter board With ECS Motherboard + CPU Lot
$70.00