Hello,
Years ago, I had a highly customized boot CD made for computer testing purposes. It's been pretty easy to update over the years by simply updating the kernel, but there is one problem that is becoming more common. This Live CD was designed to boot from IDE CD ROM drives only. So, it looks for /dev/hdx devices through a program we found years back called findcd. I was curious if anyone could explain to me how modern distro's such as Knoppix find and mount CD devices as they seem to support S-ATA, IDE, and USB CD ROM drives.
I am not a coder or developer, but I do understand Linux to some degree. I will likely need to contract out this work to someone, but was hoping to gain some insight to see what is required.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
-Jay

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core I3-540 SLBTD 3.067GHz CPU Processor LGA1156
$13.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99