Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: using xterm to split text-based screen into 4

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    12

    using xterm to split text-based screen into 4

    I've been able to start 4 programs at once in text mode, but I'd like to be able to split the screen into 4 separate windows, each with it's own output (upper left 1/4, upper right 1/4, bottom left 1/4, and bottom right 1/4).

    I started trying with 'newwin':
    Code:
    newwin(12, 39, 0, 0)
    newwin(12, 39, 0, 40)
    newwin(12, 39, 13, 0)
    newwin(12, 39, 13, 40)
    But I'm getting syntax errors.

    Somebody suggested 'xterm -e program', so I tried:
    Code:
    xterm -e ./1.sh &
    xterm -e ./2.sh &
    xterm -e ./3.sh &
    xterm -e ./4.sh
    But now it tells me 'xterm command not found' - is xterm not usable in knoppix?

    Or, is there a different way I should be trying?

    thanks in advance


    gb

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    12
    think I found the issue....

    If I type 'xterm' in a terminal from the desktop, a smaller terminal pops up. But if I type 'xterm' from root prompt in text mode, I get a warning that 'xterm' can't be used as root(?).

    So, what's the best way around this?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    12
    forgot to add the message:

    Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user. You may get a more descriptive message by running the program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.

    xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
    I even booted to the desktop, then opened terminal and 'sudo init 3', then ran my script - but still gives the same message.


    ps:

    I just realized I posted in wrong section.... sorry about that - feel free to move.


    gb

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    12
    got it.....

    the main issue, is I was in runlevel 3 - there's no x in runlevel 3

    but, I figured it out with openvt:
    Code:
    openvt -s ./1.sh &
    openvt -s ./2.sh &
    openvt -s ./3.sh &
    openvt -s ./4.sh
    then, to alternate between virtual terminals:
    Code:
    ctrl+alt+F2 = vt1
    ctrl+alt+F3 = vt2
    ctrl+alt+F4 = vt3
    ctrl+alt+F5 = vt4
    ctrl+alt+F1 brings you back to the original terminal, displaying the root prompt - ready for anything else you need to do.


    cheers

Similar Threads

  1. Text mode ADRIANE: how to get elinks to speak plain text?
    By Wollongong in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM
  2. echoing text to a specific terminal/screen
    By rhpot1991 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 03:03 PM
  3. Split screen problem
    By tdoman in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 07:27 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM
  5. text based knoppix
    By antti in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Dell Optiplex 7040 MT, i7-6700 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, NO HDD/OS #95 picture

Dell Optiplex 7040 MT, i7-6700 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, NO HDD/OS #95

$65.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00