HI there,
I'm trying to make the long walk from WinXP Pro to Linux.
I've got striped RAID running on an nForce2 motherboard.
That uses the Silicon Image SiL3112a Controller which DMRAID apparently supports.
From my reading here it represents "fake raid".
I first used the KNOPPIX live CD and was delighted to see how easy it all was and was encouraged to stick with Linux.
It saw all my devices straight out of the box as it were, proving that my RAID can work with Linux.
Now I'm confused having tried other distributions.
I've got an 80Gb emergency drive which I installed Ubuntu 7.04 onto.
My hope is to maintain XP on the RAID and keep my media files etc over there.
But the RAID doesn't feature on the devices list. I've tried Fedora too and same problem.
WHat is KNOPPIX doing that the others aren't?
And how can I transfer this magic to another distribution?
I ran:
sudo dmraid -r
and got
/dev/sda: sil, "sil_afadddbhabeb", stripe, ok, 321669888 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdb: sil, "sil_afadddbhabeb", stripe, ok, 321669888 sectors, data@ 0
There are the boys.
So I ran:
sudo dmraid -ay
And got
RAID set "sil_afadddbhabeb" already active
RAID set "sil_afadddbhabeb1" already active
Looking with:
sudo dmraid -s
i get
*** Active Set
name : sil_afadddbhabeb
size : 643339776
stride : 32
type : stripe
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs : 2
spares : 0
And:
sudo ls /dev/mapper
Tells me:
control sil_afadddbhabeb sil_afadddbhabeb1
Is it "control" that needs the attention here?
Many thanks in advance folks,

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$482.02
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$372.48
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99
1TB SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD (Recertified) - A196-SDSSDE61-1T00
$150.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16
M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$19.49
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99
Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$364.42