-
Why is KNOPPIX the only distribution that can see my RAID??
HI there,
I'm trying to make the long walk from WinXP Pro to Linux.
I've got striped RAID running on an nForce2 motherboard.
That uses the Silicon Image SiL3112a Controller which DMRAID apparently supports.
From my reading here it represents "fake raid".
I first used the KNOPPIX live CD and was delighted to see how easy it all was and was encouraged to stick with Linux.
It saw all my devices straight out of the box as it were, proving that my RAID can work with Linux.
Now I'm confused having tried other distributions.
I've got an 80Gb emergency drive which I installed Ubuntu 7.04 onto.
My hope is to maintain XP on the RAID and keep my media files etc over there.
But the RAID doesn't feature on the devices list. I've tried Fedora too and same problem.
WHat is KNOPPIX doing that the others aren't?
And how can I transfer this magic to another distribution?
I ran:
sudo dmraid -r
and got
/dev/sda: sil, "sil_afadddbhabeb", stripe, ok, 321669888 sectors, data@ 0
/dev/sdb: sil, "sil_afadddbhabeb", stripe, ok, 321669888 sectors, data@ 0
There are the boys.
So I ran:
sudo dmraid -ay
And got
RAID set "sil_afadddbhabeb" already active
RAID set "sil_afadddbhabeb1" already active
Looking with:
sudo dmraid -s
i get
*** Active Set
name : sil_afadddbhabeb
size : 643339776
stride : 32
type : stripe
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs : 2
spares : 0
And:
sudo ls /dev/mapper
Tells me:
control sil_afadddbhabeb sil_afadddbhabeb1
Is it "control" that needs the attention here?
Many thanks in advance folks,
Similar Threads
-
By NatXotic in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-18-2006, 08:22 PM
-
By Eru_Ascar in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-10-2005, 02:01 AM
-
By StealthMaster in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 06:28 AM
-
By wat1ect in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 04:33 AM
-
By paradocs in forum The Lounge
Replies: 11
Last Post: 08-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95

NEW Sealed Toshiba N300 Pro 10TB NAS HDD 7200RPM
$299.99

Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive
$39.99