I found this information on booting linux on a USB drive, however it does not address Knoppix and it did not work for me using a Knoppix cd
http://simonf.com/usb
The flonix boot disk will recognize a "live" knoppix image on sda1, surely its possible to modify that one to look for an actual install instead of the compressed root. I also would be very interested in this as I have successfully installed knoppix to my USB thumbdrive, but can't boot it. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Aeros
I found this information on booting linux on a USB drive, however it does not address Knoppix and it did not work for me using a Knoppix cd
http://simonf.com/usb
I had a thought but haven't tested it yet. Flonix is based on Knoppix and is bootable from usb devices. What if we installed knoppix like usual to a usb device then copy the flonix miniroot.gz file (and maybe syslinux.cfg
and vmlinuz) to the usb device and use the program flonix uses to make the drive bootable (syslinux)? Might work if there aren't too many differences between the 2. If I get a chance I might try it this weekend...
check out this thread http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...463&highlight=
You should be able to use the Knoppix CD to boot and then 'pivot' the root to your USB HDD.
HTT, post back with your results...
Getting back to this topic after a long long time...
It seems the pivot root method has worked for many. However, it seems the cd cant be ejected (cant use cdrom for other purpose like read/write).
I remember someone mentioned that a boot loader small cdrom can be extracted from the original CD ... just enough to load and boot it from the USB HDD, much like a BIOs. But not sure how as I cant remember the details. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Getting back to this topic after a long long time...
It seems the pivot root method has worked for many. However, it seems the cd cant be ejected (cant use cdrom for other purpose like read/write).
I remember someone mentioned that a boot loader small cdrom can be extracted from the original CD ... just enough to load and boot it from the USB HDD, much like a BIOs. But not sure how as I cant remember the details. Any ideas?
Thanks!
For a very clear description of the process, tryOriginally Posted by star
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...lnxw16FireBoot
regards
And a Happy New Year!

Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15" Pentium II 400MHz 128MB 4.8GB Windows 2000 Pro
$59.00
Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse
$350.00
Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99
Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00
15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested
$85.00
Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector
$50.00
Vintage 1980s 1990s Lot of 175 Used PC Computer 5.25" Floppy Disks IBM
$175.00
Vintage Tiny KB-9805 PC Qwerty Keyboard Retro Wired #99
$54.99
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99