-
Junior Member
registered user
Disk Deteriorisation?
I have been using 5.1.1 Live CD for some months and it has performed perfectly until last week when I noticed that my printer was not being recognised. I also tried a new Persistent Home Directory but could only get as far as 96% of the Linux file system being installed when it stops. It does the same thing every time I try.
I was wondering if there is some kind of quality loss, over time, in the disk or ???????
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Certainly not "Deteriorisation" caused by Knoppix software. But some people do treat discs harshly and scratch them. And I've had many packages of Sony CRDs, two different product codes (and one gold and one silver style), and every single Sony CD went bad over time, except for the ones that were bad as soon as I opened the package. If you're waiting for someone to suggest burning another copy, then yea, burn another copy. Do it on a different brand of CD if you have another brand available. And be sure to burn at low speed, high speed burns are known to cause problems and are likely more inclined to have this problem. And you might even try just looking at the disc to see if you can see a problem. Not all problems with the disc may be visable to the naked eye, but some are, as you can see in the above link.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I decided to bypass the 'burning' process and have ordered a CD from Land of Linux for only £1.70. I'll report back on my experience with this.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Jamsh
I decided to bypass the 'burning' process and have ordered a CD from Land of Linux for only £1.70. I'll report back on my experience with this.
I personally think that that's always a bad move, unless you know that the disc is "pressed", not burned. And with the exception of the mass runs done for trade shows like TAG, most Knoppix discs are burned.
Those who sell this free software generally do it to make a profit. That's perfectly legal. But since they are driven by a profit motive, they generally do high speed burns. You don't really expect that someone selling you that £1.70 disc is taking more than 20 minutes to burn it and doing so on quality media, do you? The disc may suffer the same problem or not even boot at all on all systems, and from what we already know your system may already have optics that don't do well with a less than perfect slow speed burn. You apparently already know how ot burn the disc, since you seem to have made your first one. You didn't say what speed it was burnt at. But I really expect that if it was made at high speed then you could resolve all of your problems just by making another disc at 4x speed.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By mystmaiden in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
-
By pau1knopp in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-04-2006, 12:15 AM
-
By bottomer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM
-
By briankinder in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2005, 01:53 AM
-
By sn7 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New
$185.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS
$1499.00

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping
$22.99