I'm running Knoppix 5.1.1 (CD version) on an IBM ThinkPad 600e laptop (192 MB RAM; 400 MHz CPU). Everything boots up okay (but I have to use nodma cheat code).
I'm trying to access an IBM Microdrive (512 MB) through the PCMCIA slot using a PCMCIA adapter. While I can eventually access the drive, and the files that it contains, the process take a very long time - so much so that it really isn't usable.
Once Knoppix has booted up, I insert the PCMCIA adapter containing the Microdrive. There are no beeps to indicate that it has been recognized and configured correctly. After about 5-10 minutes a 'PCMCIA disk [hde1]' icon appears on the desktop. Clicking on the icon to mount it opens a window with a progress bar. The window's heading is 'mounting /dev/hde1' (using source /mnt/hde1). However, the progress bar doesn't change and remains at 0% throughout the mounting process. Finally after a further 5-10 minutes the drive is mounted (indicated by the green arrow on the icon). Clicking the icon invokes Konqueror, but this takes a further 15 minutes(!) or so to display the contents of the Microdrive (hde1).
The stages described above take similar lengths of time when I issue the equivalent commands via a terminal window at the command line.
Any ideas what the problem is? Should I be entering any cheat codes at boot-up to aid PCMCIA access/configuration, or editing specific scripts? (I've noted that Knoppix starts the cardmgr at start-up and also adds an entry for hde1 to the /etc/fstab file.)
I would be extremely grateful for some help/advice.
Tallis![]()

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R
$341.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 DDR4 PC4-2133P M393A4K40BB0-CPB4Q ECC Server Memory Module
$150.00
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55
16Kingston Server Premier 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM KSM26ED8/16ME OPEN BOX
$169.99