Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Help with windows system file restore

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3

    Help with windows system file restore

    Hello, sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm a noob when it comes to Linux. My PC will no longer boot to windows and I'm trying to copy my system_restore files to windows\system32\config folder using Knoppix ver 5.1 When trying to boot to Windows XP, I get an error WIndows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. When I boot into Knoppix, my hard disk is listed as "Hard disk [SDA1]" I mounted the drive and when I change read\write status, I get an error stating THe remount command failed. Maybe there is another process accessing the filesystem currently. Can someone PLEASE help?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    Anyone?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I mounted the drive and when I change read\write status,
    Try booting the cd, right clicking on the drive icon, switching the r/w status and THEN mounting the drive. Not sure it will help but worth a try.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Rusty usually gives good advice, but if this is a NTFS file system (I don't think you said and I suspect it is, xp usually is unless there is reason for it to not be), then I would advise against doing the above. Writing to NTFS can completely corrupt it and cause you to lose all of your data, which sounds to be currently available. I would use the standard recovery techniques listed in the recovery faq, then do a fresh install and reload important data rather than take the risk.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3
    Ok, I resolved the problem. I was not able to restore the files using Knoppix, but instead I installed the HD into a working XP machine, booted into XP, ran Chkdsk on the non-bootable xp drive, and copied the sam, system, default, security, and software files from the system restore folder to system32\config. I rebooted the drive and voila XP! I was hoping to do this without taking the hard drive out. Thanks for all the replies! Has anyone successfully changed files on a NTFS partition???

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptan
    Ok, I resolved the problem. I was not able to restore the files using Knoppix, but instead I installed the HD into a working XP machine, booted into XP, ran Chkdsk on the non-bootable xp drive, and copied the sam, system, default, security, and software files from the system restore folder to system32\config. I rebooted the drive and voila XP! I was hoping to do this without taking the hard drive out. Thanks for all the replies! Has anyone successfully changed files on a NTFS partition???
    I've written files on an NTFS partition with Knoppix version 5.1.x

    Like said above, you boot the CD, then Right-Click on the desktop icon, then uncheck the Read-Only checkbox on the context menu, and finally you Left-Click on the desktop icon and mount the drive.

Similar Threads

  1. using knoppix 5.1.1 to do system restore
    By elohnah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 04:23 AM
  2. Unable to modify 'system' file on windows XP HDD
    By KnoppixIsOk in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 11:27 PM
  3. Linux Ext2 Installable File System For Windows!!!!!
    By sakiZ in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 02:13 AM
  4. Windows XP Corrupted my File System, Now What?!
    By apoc in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 04:31 AM
  5. Copying windows System file
    By TMcGrath in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$368.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00