Quote Originally Posted by FredJetson
.... installed the system from the Knoppix CD.....
Knoppix is a Live CD. It is not recommended for a beginner to try to install it to hard disk, many known problems crop up when you do. If you want an installed Linux on your hard disk, I strongly suggest that you do a net-install of Debian, the OS that Knoppix is based on. You can then easily install any or all of the applications that are in Knoppix. And you'll avoid the common Knoppix hard disk install problems.

As far as I can tell from a quick read of your post, the monitor problem that you are reporting only occurs after the hard disk install. If that's incorrect, then you're confusing the issue by getting into the hard disk issue, just focus on getting the disc version working. If it does only happen on hard disk install then it's something new that I had not heard of going wrong with a hard disk install before, but I'm not shocked by it. And not particularly concerned or interested either.

There is a forum section for the people who install Knoppix to hard disk. I'm moving your post there. I would like to be able to tell you that the people who do think installing Knoppix is a good idea will find it and respond faster there, but in all honesty they seldom do that. They do seem to like to correct me for saying that Knoppix shouldn't be installed though, so perhaps my feedback here will help you get some extra attention.